Could have been a terrible day on the lake

So I went out on the 4th with a bunch of friends to the lake. We were all having a great time at the start until a friend of mine sucked the fucking rope up in the prop..... After getting pulled back to shore and pulling the ski out of the water we got it out with a large knife and about 1 1/2 hours of untangling & cutting. This is the 2nd damn time this has happened in 2 weeks now. I really have to watch who I let pull people on my ski. How big of a problem can this be besides the headache of cutting it out? Bent blades on my prop maybe? Strip my shaft?

ALSO, my friend that sucked the rope up thought he would surprise me by putting the ski back in the water for me. At this point I didn't think it was coming out and went back with the rest of the group. Everything seemed to run fine with no issues. About 4 hrs later I go to pull it out and both drain plugs are out and just hanging there! Much to my surprise very little water drained out once I had it up on the trailer. It wasn't like we were babying this thing. When I ride, I really get on it and cut it up. I thought for sure without my drain plugs in I should have filled up with water by then......... I'm a little confused on this one.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeret View Post
    ......... I'm a little confused on this one.

The OEM drain plugs on 4TEC skis have a built in check valve (small white ball, tapered channel). If left open water will push the white ball forward and close off the hole...When going forward, the ball will go back and allow water to flow OUT...So if you have water in the hull, and the siphons aren't working, pop the plugs and plow for a bit

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    you're drain plugs are idiot proof, they have checks in them. For idiots such as your friends... which need to be watching for the rope, im guessing your ski is a 3seater? its the spotters job to keep the rope clear, something you need to iterate to your friends before letting them on it. shouldn't hurt anything, it could bend a prop blade. pull it and check, its not hard.

Yesterday, we we out on the boat (too many boats out to run the skis), parked at a swimming area, saw these two doofuses on Kawi STX-15F's beating the piss out of them, round and round in circles, going like a bat out of hell down the shallows. I said to my wife that these guys will be on Greenhulk tomorrow wondering why their skis blew up. Half hour later, we were heading down to get ice cream at the marina, when one of these guys blew by us really close between two boats. Noticed something wasnt quite right. Saw him in the no-wake zone taking on water, then noticed the right side trim was all peeled off and hanging there, big gouges along the side. Asked him what happened, and said he ran into a pontoon boat. No duh!

Idgets. This kind of stuff is why I didn't ride on the 4th, but went to the restaurant/bar on the lake instead with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Idgets. This kind of stuff is why I didn't ride on the 4th, but went to the restaurant/bar on the lake instead with friends.
    We don't ride the skis on the holidays. Although I do love hanging out at the launch ramp to watch clueless people ruin their stuff, along with tempers flaring. I really should take the video camera.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    We don't ride the skis on the holidays. Although I do love hanging out at the launch ramp to watch clueless people ruin their stuff, along with tempers flaring. I really should take the video camera.
    ^x1 could make ur own tv show just buy siting at the public ramps lol

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    no doubt we could find some folks dumb enough to sign waivers too...

I enjoy "the ramp show" quite a bit myself..and holidays ar a no-ski zone for me..to many people out for the first time and why am I in such a rush..living here year round affords me some nice alone time in the winter..where the water is glass smooth for a 5 miles or more at sunup. During holidays it appears to be part of the north atlantic. With 100k people flooding the area on the big holidays.(normal popualtion of Elephant Butte=2000)

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    no doubt we could find some folks dumb enough to sign waivers too...

I enjoy "the ramp show" quite a bit myself..and holidays ar a no-ski zone for me..to many people out for the first time and why am I in such a rush..living here year round affords me some nice alone time in the winter..where the water is glass smooth for a 5 miles or more at sunup. During holidays it appears to be part of the north atlantic. With 100k people flooding the area on the big holidays.(normal popualtion of Elephant Butte=2000)

you make money off all the idiots bringing in their mess ups I hope

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mongorunner View Post
    you make money off all the idiots bringing in their mess ups I hope
    <sarcasm mode on>sometimes the helpful folks that know all about PWC's at the ramp make the pot even sweeter....( oh..just turn it over and I'll help you get the rope out...the cooling system on these new seadoos are fully sealed..so no chance of water getting in while it's upside down.) <sarcasm mode off>

(I keep a couple of consoles in stock and keep 20 gallons of milkshake flush ( walmart econo motor oil) handy during the season)

it's really not that funny when somebody actually gets hurt..which is a weeked thing around here during season. Parks department has a couple of rangers on the ramp during the busiest weekends to keep the peace and to stop folks from doing really dumb stuff)

Thread Information