+1

free flow exhaust question

I just ordered the R&D velocity stacks and an R&D air filter. I also purchased a Solas yg-df 14/20 prop and new pump housing (wear ring). Should I purchase a free flow exhaust as well or should my 06 Yamaha FX HO perform just fine with the intake improvements and the 14/20. I ask because I read somewhere that the 14/20 is a bit "doughy" at low rpms without the free flow exhaust. I have no idea what was meant by doughy but it didnt sound good. Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    I just ordered the R&D velocity stacks and an R&D air filter. I also purchased a Solas yg-df 14/20 prop and new pump housing (wear ring). Should I purchase a free flow exhaust as well or should my 06 Yamaha FX HO perform just fine with the intake improvements and the 14/20. I ask because I read somewhere that the 14/20 is a bit "doughy" at low rpms without the free flow exhaust. I have no idea what was meant by doughy but it didnt sound good. Thanks for any input.
    I would go with an exhaust mod. You have your ski breathing in with the velocity stacks and filter. You gotta let it breath out with an unrestricted exhaust. There are a few threads already posted regarding free flow exhaust. Just do a search and get some ideas. You could buy a kit or get creative and build your own. I don't own a FX but I modified the exhaust on my '05 VX110 Sport by removing the resonator. You could do the same with your ski.

+1
    Thanks for the input. You make a good point about improving the intake and needing a ff to improve the exhaust flow. Thanks a bunch.

Here's a picture of my exhaust mod. All I have done is deleted the resonator and replaced it with 2.5" stainless steel tubing. Cheap, easy and it works. It also sounds very nice, not too loud.
    The other option would be to ALSO remove the waterbox with the resonator and then plumb in some hoses and connectors. Just a note, this set-up would be very loud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0768.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	277114  

+1
    Looks good! Functional, and probably about $100 less than the Riva FF which runs 109.95. Unfortunately I've already ordered the Riva. I'll toss it on and know better in the future. Nice job.

Thread Information