polaris vs wave runner

I had given up on ever getting my 97 sl900 running so I bought a 1988 wave runner. I took it to the lake today to try it out. I haven't been on a ski in 30 years and that was a kawasaki standup ski that I never did master.
    When I unloaded the wave runner from the trailer and started to get on, i knew I was in trouble. This thing would roll easier than a drunk in a kayak on a water fall. I road it about 300 yards and turned it over. then I couldn't get back on it in the water so a ski boat towed me to shore.
    does anyone have any experience with the wave runners like mine and has moved on to the polaris like my 97 sl900? Is the polaris more stable?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    I cant speak to the wave runner, but the 97 SL900 is stable. I have the same ski. I have never tipped it and can easily board it after jumping off it to go swimming. I could even board it from the side.

I was having spark problems that I couldn't figure out. Every test I did was in spec but no spark. I finally decided to replace the cdi and I am waiting for it to come in.
    After the wave runner I am really looking foward to trying it out.

+1
    I think you will be in good shape with the update kit. Make sure to check the timing after the update. Despite the fact you don't move the magnet location, the timing WILL be off. You will likely need to advance the magnet.

So what I'm tying to say is, don't completely button it back up until you do a static timing check or don't put all the cover bolts back in if you are doing a dynamic check, as you will need to pull it off a few times.

I have never managed to flip any of my skis....not even the Hurricane....although it did like to throw me off.

what is the easiest way to check the timing?

I have almost fallen off my once when I was 2 up, the SL900 is way more stable I would imagine, and way faster

+1
    The SL's are pretty stable. A 300+ pound rider will have issues as its just about like two pepole. Low speed is a bit tippy with over 300 pounds but way better than say a seedoo XP

If you are a big dude or want to take passengers an SLT with a boarding ladder would be the way to go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by quacked1up View Post
    what is the easiest way to check the timing?
    Before you reassemble it, use a static timing procedure. Its a pain. Get a manual.

If you dont mind the guess an check method (easier), then use a timing light to check it thru the timing inspection hole on the top of the cover. Check, adjust, check , adjust....you get the drill. I have to do it 4 times to get the timing where I wanted it.

+1
    Ya, those old Waverunners needed a kickstand & training wheels I personally went from a Wetjet to 1993 SL 750 in 1993 & that Wetjet was twice as stable as a Waverunner of that vintage. try to find someone with a Polaris & ride it, that may motivate you to spend the time to fix it.

Thread Information