+1

Help setting Riva Controller ported PV EFI Gp1300r

I bought a ported PV GP1300R. It has 3degree keyway, open air no screens or excess tubing and head was shaved on lathe but not pockets done so Compression is only 120 120 115 with new pistons and rings. Low compression is nice because our refill station on water only carries 89 octane but I will buy another cylinder head to raise compression if thats what is needed.

I set up the EFI controller 6 6 6 6 and below 6000 rpms it seemed very blubbery but when red light came on it hit like ton of bricks. I adjusted it to 3 6 6 5 and anytime red light comes on it runs great, back off rpms to where redlight goes off and it just blubbers. Piston wash looks lean with almost no shiny areas on the pistons after riding today a couple hours at 6k rpms cruising with a friend who could only run about 60mph.

With no controller it hesitates badly when hit the throttle. I had to fix a broken ground wire before riding to fix. IT FEELS like I should run it 1 6 8 5 but I know that just looks goofy compared what you guys are doing.

What EFI settings would you guys recommend I try next time out on the water? Does it hurt anything to have pot 4 set low to cruise on the highspeed circuit? What could be causing the blubbering when redlight is off?

Thanks
    Last edited by Avi8tor; 07-15-2012 at 08:53 AM.

WFO can offer some of the best advice here, i forgot what mine is set up at but i have a pretty close setup. I think i'm somewhere around 5564 if i had to guess. Lowering the crossover point will probably stop the powerband from being so unmanagable and help to tune it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    WFO can offer some of the best advice here, i forgot what mine is set up at but i have a pretty close setup. I think i'm somewhere around 5564 if i had to guess. Lowering the crossover point will probably stop the powerband from being so unmanagable and help to tune it out.
    I'll try 5564 next time out. What is your compression? Glad its ok to lower crossover point to tame the powerband. Its tough to ride my ski below 55 mph because of the ON - OFF powerband. I understand that it does tame it but what is it doing to tame it? Adding fuel? leaning it?

+1
    1 more question , Does pot 1 have any effect on it when the redlight is on at its on highspeed circuit? Looking at the wash I do need to richen it up I think.

as i understand it ( and i've sort of forgotten some since i set mine some time ago and don't typically mess with it) pot 1 is for the idle circuit, pot 2 i believe is based on pot 1 and is an enrichment circuit, basically most people run them on the same number. Pot 3 is the high end so if it's usually a good idea to have this one be a little fat. The last pot is the rpm crossover point between the low and high so changing this can help smooth out the poweband. Mine was very dull around 5K and Rich @ WFO performance helped me to tune it out and make it much more rideable. I believe he said a lot of the non PV are a little weak here so hopefully your PV's can take up the weird transition here. Also i had a 150psi head but after porting i think it's like 135.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    as i understand it ( and i've sort of forgotten some since i set mine some time ago and don't typically mess with it) pot 1 is for the idle circuit, pot 2 i believe is based on pot 1 and is an enrichment circuit, basically most people run them on the same number. Pot 3 is the high end so if it's usually a good idea to have this one be a little fat. The last pot is the rpm crossover point between the low and high so changing this can help smooth out the poweband. Mine was very dull around 5K and Rich @ WFO performance helped me to tune it out and make it much more rideable. I believe he said a lot of the non PV are a little weak here so hopefully your PV's can take up the weird transition here. Also i had a 150psi head but after porting i think it's like 135.
    What numbers are you running? I ordered a usb boroscope off ebay to make it easier reading piston wash without pulling the head. 25 bucks was pretty cheap.

+1
    this thread pretty much covers it http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64736

Thread Information