'94 SLT 750 air in return line

I've searched this and have had no luck. It's stumping me! The ski is a '94 SLT 750. I've rebuilt the carbs, all new clear fuel line, triple outlet pump, new fuel valve, upgraded tank venting, and new reeds. Pop-off pressure on all carbs is around 15 psi. Carb adjustments are set to factory specs per Clymer manual. I am using R&D f/a's with 102.5 main jets and stock pilot jets.

Is it normal to have large air bubbles in the return line between the center and pto carb? The hose clamps on the fuel line are sealing (I checked with pump) so it's not drawing air in from there. I tested the tank vent check valve and it opens with about 3 psi of pressure. There seems to be pressure coming from the fuel tank when I remove the return line from the nipple on the fuel rail. Is this normal? All three cylinder's have 130 psi compression so I know the engine is good. The ski starts up great but will not come off the throttle. It instantly bogs out but idle's fine. All three coils have spark going to plugs. I'm thinking it's a fuel problem if I can see those bubbles in the return line. Does this sound like a CDI problem?

The ski ran great last summer after I rebuilt everything. The problem happened when I replaced the starter at the end of the summer and I took the ski out and it ran fine for 10 minutes and then shut off and would not start again. It will only go about 5 mph and bogs out at 1/4 throttle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kdxsam View Post
    I've searched this and have had no luck. It's stumping me! The ski is a '94 SLT 750. I've rebuilt the carbs, all new clear fuel line, triple outlet pump, new fuel valve, upgraded tank venting, and new reeds. Pop-off pressure on all carbs is around 15 psi. Carb adjustments are set to factory specs per Clymer manual. I am using R&D f/a's with 102.5 main jets and stock pilot jets.

Is it normal to have large air bubbles in the return line between the center and pto carb? The hose clamps on the fuel line are sealing (I checked with pump) so it's not drawing air in from there. I tested the tank vent check valve and it opens with about 3 psi of pressure. There seems to be pressure coming from the fuel tank when I remove the return line from the nipple on the fuel rail. Is this normal? All three cylinder's have 130 psi compression so I know the engine is good. The ski starts up great but will not come off the throttle. It instantly bogs out but idle's fine. All three coils have spark going to plugs. I'm thinking it's a fuel problem if I can see those bubbles in the return line. Does this sound like a CDI problem?

The ski ran great last summer after I rebuilt everything. The problem happened when I replaced the starter at the end of the summer and I took the ski out and it ran fine for 10 minutes and then shut off and would not start again. It will only go about 5 mph and bogs out at 1/4 throttle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    What are your needles set at vs factory? What kind of rebuild kit did you use on the carbs? I had air in the lines of my SLT, but they clear out after some run time. You stated 130 psi compression, When did you last check it?

Needles are factory size 2.0 viton Mikuni's (new). The carb rebuild kits are Parts Unlimited (I know I should have used Mikuni brand). I just checked the compression yesterday. Like I said, I used it under this setup for a whole summer and it ran great until I replaced that starter. I'd like to think it's the CDI...but the air in the line baffles me.

Thread Information