+1

Freak 717 hard starting and bogging

Ok. Seems history is repeating itself and I lost enough hair on first go around. Have a rental ski with a 717(gti le) fresh motor- carb- lines ect typical issues repaired or replaced. Ski ran great. Started great. No hesitation on acceleration no flat spots ect. Came back from a rental last weekend and now it's hard to start-have to play with choke- no choke- hold throttle part open- generally just mess around until you hit the sweet spot and it cranks. Idles ok once started and warm While riding from 1/8 to 1/2 throttle has zero throttle response. Makes little or no difference where you hold it between 1/8 and 1/2 runs the same. Once you hit 1/2 throttle has a hesitation getting on plane-not instant like it was bit runs fine above half throttle. This started all at once. New plugs(old ones had good readings - mixture and oil looked great) compression same as when new. Had this happen on a rental gs with 717 a couple years ago and chased it for awhile and finally found it. Getting to old and can't remember what it was now. Lol. Any ideas?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    fresh engine+weird problems=rotary valve gear issue...one issue not really talked about much is the torque that part of the engine takes when the pump hooks up after catching some air. These gears strip without much prodding it seems. If the lower end has some hours on it..and in a rental environment I'd be pulling the rv cover to at least check the timing and inspect the innards a bit. you might see some excessive spit back from the flame arrestor during cranking and idle..but that's live mixture..so use some caution there.

After I stopped assuming the RV was bulletproof, problems that defy explanation are often quickly resolved.

going from a 10 to a 2 in one day means something catastrophic has happened...or you just put a load of bourbon in the tank by mistake( check the fuel filter for water first)

+1
    Motor has about 20 hours on it since rebuild from water ingestion (renters). Put newer low hour rotary shaft in it when I built it with perfect gear(previous motor had a sbt long block from previous owner - found brass gear on sbt shafts don't last like oem) just checked fuel/water separator. Lots of sediment in it that wasn't there before- looks like rust from a old gas can. Hmmm they might have put some of there own fuel in there as I know they drove it to there campsite. Have to investigate further.

+1
    ok..rotary valve, you can go about your business..don't be seen around workbench town again!

sure does sound like a nasty gas can..that really fine rust from those 20 year old wal-mart gas cas will swish right thru the "filters"

+1
    Have me confused as heck with the first paragraph lol. I need to get some jobs out of the shop and pull this one in to look at in the next couple days. That's what it was - fine rust particles - and they went through the filter in the separator. Damn. Just built this carb when I put the last motor in. Was funny how they used 5 gallons in a 2 hr rental and usually renters go through 8 in 2 hours. I'm sure that's what happened- they used some of there own fuel. I'll pull the carb again and if it's not the culprit check the timing on the rotary Valve to make sure it hasn't changed and there's no excessive play in the gear. These rentals kill me. They come back upside down about 25% of the time. I'm wanting to swap to 4 strokes but they bring them back upside down and even more work to get them back in the water. Im about done putting the Gtx 155 back together that hydro locked and bent a rod

+1
    just put in the rental agreement that if the bring it back flipped or otherwise dela the rental turn around for more then 24 hours ( and going into the shop to clear a hyydrolocked engine or pulling carbs can classify as a 24 hour delay), the lose their damage deposit..as the renter it's your word as to the issues that need resolving. same if they use thier own fuel..I'd call em and tell em to dump those rusty old gas cans that is causing you to have to rebuild a fresh set of carbs.

I was going to try rentals here..but opted to wait till the lake is a bit higher. pumps I can fix blindfolded...fiberglass however isn't one of my skills.

hey..at least most of the bolts will come out easier the second time around ..right?

+1
    I charge a minimum $100 charge on the 2 strokes if they flip it and get water in the hull more than a couple inches deep to take the time to dry everything out. Rentals are basically our loss leader to get people into the shop- store and cabins but it be nice to make a profit from them. I cringe everytime one leaves the dock and start biting nails waiting to see what happens. You get good over the years at reading people and betting on what they will do. Thing about fixing the rentals vs customers or personal skis is you never get information on the cause- history of how - when why the issue started because it's always " it was like that when we got it" lol. My wife works for an attorney so our paperwork and orientation are pretty bullet proof- you have to weigh the cost of some small things vs the potential bad mouthing so I let more than I should slide. I had a gs a couple years ago do this same thing and it drove me nuts. Started the same thing. Started great but 1/8 to 1/2 throttle was like you werent even opening the butterfly then at 1/2 throttle it would take off and run great. Went through carb and everything was spot on- old age I've forgotten exactly what it ended up being. Sold it to a older couple and they are here every weekend riding it and the gsxl I sold them

Thread Information