Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

keihin accl pump rebuild

pretty sure this way will work and its how i plan to do my next one.i haven't worked out sizes yet.small drill bit drilled about 3/16" into the center of the brass plug,then using a machine thread cutting screw,thread into the brass plug carefully so as not to break off the screw into the plug,remove the cutting screw and use a regular much longer screw.setup like this,a 3/8...1/4" drive short socket with the 3/8 end centered over the plug.a washer on the 1/4 drive end,a nut that will easily turn up and down the longer machine screw.the nut is run onto the screw up to the head.then the washer,then the socket.thread into the brass plug until the screw lighly bottoms out,center the socket over the brass,center the washer,run the nut down until you get tension,then using 2 wrenches,hodl the longer screw in place while you tighten down on the nut,that should provide enough leverage to draw out the plug.i leave the brass on the screw,just run the nut back up to the head,then reinsert the plug and all,tap down on the screw head a couple times and the brass will hold as you loosen the longer screw back out,and you won't leave any crimp marks on the brass plug while trying to unthread it off the longer screw.i also tap the plug flat and flat file across the top of it and the aluminum metering block to remove any black paint,i fill in the hole drilled with jb weld and across the top of the metering block area around it as a safety measure. this is how to replace the plastic check ball inside the metering,its rough but works and i believe the screw size is 6/32 that i used,when i get a chance i'll have pics and better write up for the tech section.i got all the hardware at ace including the steel ball as a replacement

+1
    drug this back out.i have my final setup to do this.did 2 just the other day.problem now is the accl diapraghm parts are no longer avail.

THANKS FOR RESURRECTING THIS THREAD!

I've literally spent hours & hours post mining on accelerator pump issues/fixes and trying to figure out if the AP check valve in the jet block could accessed/serviced. Your original post confirms my suspicions and provides a solid method to get into that check valve to service it.

Do you recall the size of that plastic check ball in there? I notice there's ceramic bearing balls available.......do you think they may be a better replacement for the plastic ball than steel? I know their weight would be more comparable to plastic than steel, no corrosion issues, etc.

My 01 Virage 700 carb has never had the carb off or rebuilt, so along with fixing the accelerator pump, I'll rebuild the carb at the same time. I'm at the stage of getting all the needed parts together and working thru my plan to service the AP check valves for which there's no documented service instruction.......only replacement and the replacement parts are no longer available.

One other question as you really know the ins and outs of these carbs........I ordered an OEM rebuild kit; but when I was comparing with aftermarket rebuild kits there were a few extra pieces pictured in the aftermarket kits which looked like they might be pump section parts. Do you know the difference of what's included in an OEM rebuild kit vs an aftermarket kit?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by hkg3k; 06-30-2013 at 10:10 AM.

+1
    can't really comment on the kits,just match up the new parts to the old ones and swap them out.the steel ball i used was a hair smaller than the plastic one.i believe absentx has a set of carbs i did like this a while back.he might comment on how his are holding up.

I'll do that, thanks again. WRT getting the AP check valve out of the jet block.......I had originally thought about fishing the spring out with a dental pick and drilling a hole thru the plug to get to the check ball; threading the hole and closing it back up with a set screw. I like your method better..........

Thread Information