Looking to get a 2003 XLT 1200

Hey all! I am looking to purchase a 2003 XLT 1200 from a friend of my buddy's. I have seen the unit a few time and it is pretty clean for the age. It has always been stored inside, with a cover on it. From what I was told it has less than 80 hours. I could not verify this as when I looked at it the battery was not hooked up. He bought it brand new, and the last few summers has only had it out a handful of times. It has a few scratches here and there which is to be expected from a 9 year old ski. It comes with a nice Shore Land'r trailer, spare tire, cover, and vests. He is looking to get $3500 for it. Does this sound like a decent deal?

I used to own a 2000 Seadoo GTX about 6 years ago that my parents had bought brand new. I really liked that thing and had no problems with it at all. How will the Yamaha compare to it? The Yamaha seems like a bigger ski, but it has been a while since I have been around a Seadoo of similar year to mine.

I have researched the Yamaha a bit and know there is a mod to do to the powervalves correct? Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks!

+1
    Thats a good price. Some of the most common failure points on these engines are the power valves and the oil lines. If you buddy has never had any work done to the carbs, oil lines, or powervalves, then you should definitely consider that to need IMMEDIATE attention. Otherwise you'll be posting a thread in the near future about overhauling the engine...

Thanks for the information. I would definitely address the oil lines and powervalves up front, and also make sure the carbs are in good working order. The thing hasn't been ridden much in the past few years so I am sure it would probably need some attention.

Well the seller of the ski I was going to pick up flaked and decided to keep it. Not happy about it, but such is life. Anyway, I have been searching all over somewhat locally for a decent Yamaha ski. I found this one in Lincoln, NE.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/boa/3125450808.html

Any thoughts on it?

+1
    Do not buy ANY ski you cannot ride on the water first, unless you buy one to do an engine build on anyway. Really sick running ski's can sound just fine out of the water, or on the hose. They often have to have a load on them for weak cyl or gummed up carbs to show up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Longer02 View Post
    Well the seller of the ski I was going to pick up flaked and decided to keep it. Not happy about it, but such is life. Anyway, I have been searching all over somewhat locally for a decent Yamaha ski. I found this one in Lincoln, NE.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/boa/3125450808.html

Any thoughts on it?
    Looks like a decent GPR there.

Thread Information