Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Great White Stalking Kayak in Cape Cod

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1110086

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1110086

This story popped up awhile back in the local paper, you can hear the guy grunt through his reg after the sighting. A freakin great white off the East Coast of Fl...

http://www.tcoasttalk.com/2011/07/02...n-inlet-video/

+1
    Oh yeah that's a cool video! -- I think Mark put that one up on here somewhere before.
    If you notice the diver spins and that White Pointer was sneaking up on him from behind, pretty creepy.

They do have some big azz sharks in that area; I have a very good friend who was fishing off the north jetty at Sebastion one night and he swears on a stack of Bibles that a Great White come up within 20 feet of the fishing pier with its fin out of the water, he says it was about 14 feet long and everybody was shining their lights on it like a scene out of Jaws.

Can you believe I used to scuba dive and snorkel for tropical fish in that same inlet many years ago, until I started talking to the locals about the big sharks that patrol the area, then we started going to West Palm but I'm sure they are there too, just lurking in the shadows. But at least the water is more clear in West Palm; murky water makes me very cautious. To be honest I worry more about Bull sharks in Florida, they are more common and they have a real nasty attitude.

+1
    Oh yeah that's a cool video! -- I think Mark put that one up on here somewhere before.
    If you notice the diver spins and that White Pointer was sneaking up on him from behind, pretty creepy.

They do have some big azz sharks in that area; I have a very good friend who was fishing off the north jetty at Sebastion one night and he swears on a stack of Bibles that a Great White come up within 20 feet of the fishing pier with its fin out of the water, he says it was about 14 feet long and everybody was shining their lights on it like a scene out of Jaws.

Can you believe I used to scuba dive and snorkel for tropical fish in that same inlet many years ago, until I started talking to the locals about the big sharks that patrol the area, then we started going to West Palm but I'm sure they are there too, just lurking in the shadows. But at least the water is more clear in West Palm; murky water makes me very cautious. To be honest I worry more about Bull sharks in Florida, they are more common and they have a real nasty attitude.
    Palm beach area is definitely a better dive than almost anything north. I go out in Fort Pierce alot, but vis usually sucks and its all scattered ledges with no reefs like you find down south. In Palm Beach County, the blue heron bridge is a pretty nice shore dive if you're not familiar with it and ever want to try it. It's a ways inside the inlet, you have to time it just right and dive at high slack tide. There is some pretty neat macro life to look at around the bridge pillings if you know what to look for.

That divers heart had to be blasting out of his chest, at least mine would have been. I will say that diver is either plain dumb, or he has some brass balls. He was supposedly solo diving in about 170' of water, on air. The guy was in 170' of water, task loaded with a pony bottle, speargun and whatever else he had going on, not to mention trying to shoot Amberjacks (AKA Reef Donkeys) in the process. Guy seemed a little narced to me, how many times did he miss? At that depth you might not be necessarily narced to the point where your ripping the reg out of your mouth, stripping off your wetsuit, and doing the chicken on the ocean floor........but your at least getting to the point where you can only process two or three concurrent thoughts at one time. I can imagine the thoughts now, ok I haz arrived at 170', turn camera on...Yeah.... Imma show these chumps who's the man in these waters.....hell yeah, I run this here..... I'm the man , wait till you tube sees this chronic bit of extreme footage here...ok check air...good....find fish.... shoots @ large almost stationary fish....damn I missed. Check air...good, ok find another fish....there....shoots @ another large nearly stationary fish and misses.....diver is now becoming narced and starts singing AC/DC'S ''TNT'' song in his head, but suddenly stops and thinks... damn I haz got to drop a duece, it's cool, I'll just hold it for a bit. Then out of the shadows emerges Jaws himself.....the thought of bowl control completely eludes him... and boom.... ah mans, I just shat in my new suit....Cause I'm TNT, I'm dynomite, I'm TNT and I'll win the fight Ok sorry end rant....

The likelihood of a shark encounter of some sort increases considerably while spearfishing. I spearfish from time to time, and I can tell you even though the thrill of the hunt takes over most of your sensory systems, the thought of encountering some sort of predatory animal is always lagging in the corner of my mind. Most of the guys I dive with try to play it safe and we normally tie a loop in the bouy line about 25-30' away from the bottom end of the line. We take a large SS clip and hang any of the catch there. This way, if any sharks show up, your catch remains at a distance as opposed to being clipped to one of your d-rings. You have a much higher probability of getting out of dodge and letting jaws have his way with your bouy line instead of your azz...

You're right though, bullsharks are N-A-S-T-Y, I have read that they have one of the highest testosterone levels known of any species. The funny thing is, in all my time as a diver, I have never seen one. I've seen hammerheads, spinners, nurse sharks, black tips and reef sharks, yet I have never one time came across a bullshark in the open ocean. But if I do and it's a problem.... MR stab-a-gill is always close by, on the right side of my BCD. The masses will tell you don't kid yourself into thinking a knife is a defensive weapon against a large marine predator, but I will surely take my chances. You may not be able to swing the knife in a normal fashion, but it can surely be thrust forward.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCDKnife.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	276857

This may have been posted already, but check it out.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3925809/shark-clash/

+1
    Mr. stab-a-gill...
    yeah I never got the urge to swim around with a spear and bleeding fish in the water...
    my neighbor does this all the time but I don't go with him.

We have seen a lot of sharks over the years -- but you're right no Bulls; which is a good thing I guess!
    White Sharks are pretty common in some places, I'm glad we don't have a lot of them here.

We went to Baja and my brother tried to get me to swim with the seals around the arch at Cabo san Lucas; told him no thanks, I like adventure but I'm not stupid.

+1
    I thought Great whites like cooler water Like below 60. I thought tiger shark were the big think in Florida.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    I thought Great whites like cooler water Like below 60. I thought tiger shark were the big think in Florida.
    You're correct, great whites do habitate cooler waters. Yet there are documented cases of great white sightings this far down south on the east coast. As matter of fact, there was a kite surfer killed within the last few years here in Stuart, Florida. It is a hotly debated issue, but there are certain experts that claim it was a great white attack, based on teeth marks, method of attack, ect. There have even been great white sightnings in the Gulf of Mexico.

Black tips and reef sharks are the most common sharks in Florida, during the winter months blacktips can be seen by helicopter migrating by the thousands, literally. They can be aggresive, but are not normally lethal. They are responsible for most of the hit and run bites that occur on FL's beaches. (East Coast) I can't tell you how many times I've seen a black tiped dorsal fin stroll by me when I was out surfing as a teenager.

You can find Tigers in Fl waters as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    Yeah they're all here, but I'm telling you, the one to watch out for is the Bull Shark...
    the one below was caught just north of Palm Beach Inlet; they are real common around inlets and estuaries where people swim, they even go up into residential canals and brackish waters; they've killed people in fresh water rivers, miles from the ocean.

This is the species that came up into knee-deep water and bit the arm off Jesse Arbogast right on the beach in broad daylight; it takes a lot of attitude for a shark to do that. In some places around the world they are called Zambezi Sharks. They're not as big as some of the others, but Bulls will carve your azz up...

+1
    Yeah they're all here, but I'm telling you, the one to watch out for is the Bull Shark...
    the one below was caught just north of Palm Beach Inlet; they are real common around inlets and estuaries where people swim, they even go up into residential canals and brackish waters; they've killed people in fresh water rivers, miles from the ocean.

This is the species that came up into knee-deep water and bit the arm off Jesse Arbogast right on the beach in broad daylight; it takes a lot of attitude for a shark to do that. In some places around the world they are called Zambezi Sharks. They're not as big as some of the others, but Bulls will carve your azz up...

Agreed. Bullsharks have an amazing ability to survive for long periods of time in freshwater, no joke they have been found as far inland as Indiana by route of the MS River. I watched a program back where they believed a bullshark to be responsible for an attack on a show horse, as it was led through a 2-3 ft stream in Australia. They were literally miles away from saltwater. On another program I watched, scientists were tracking the migratory habits of Bullsharks in freshwater. They discovered a breeding population in FRESH WATER, again, miles and miles from open sea.

+1
    That is scary sharks being in fresh water .I have seen seal here in Oregon up rivers pretty far too. So I could see that happening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information