1200 66U: warped Fuel sending unit flap photo, reserve line length & primer question

Tore my fuel tank off and pulled the sender. The little flap in the bottom was warped a bit. I guess the first question is, what is that flap for and the second is...does this look like I must get a new sender or at least repair the flap? Something tells me this thing doesn't matter much at all with as flimsy as it is. While I'm in there, I may as well ask how close to the bottom of the tube should the reserve line sit? I guess as long as the flap isn't blocking it from getting fuel it should be fine.

Hmmm, that brings up a thought. I have my primer hooked up to the reserve line on my other SUV. If I leave the fuel selector in the "prime" position, it boggs down at high rpms and won't go over 35. When I put it back in the "on" position, it runs excellent. I wonder if that reserve line grew a bit and is touching the bottom...which would restrict the amount of fuel being delivered. I have always excused it off as being too much demand for the restrictive in-line "T" up at the primer plunger. One of my SUV buds has the exact same primer set up (by me) and his runs fine in either position.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel sending flap on yamaha SUV.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	276830

+1

+1
    Also be sure the reserve line is not touching the bottom plate and restricting flow, it has in EVERY GPR and XLL/XLT I have taken apart except the 04 XLT which has a whole different style assembly.

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ne+restriction
    I cut the reserve line at an angle to fix it and prevent it from sealing off on the bottom plate.

Also, your problem with using the reserve position, the tee could be a restriction, but also its possible to suck air back thru the primer if it has weak seals, and that would cause the same issue. Primers should be installed on an independant line from tank, or on the return to tank line.

Aah, excellent idea. I was afraid the warped door might seal the reserve off as well. 2 birds with 1 stone. Gracias.

Is the flapper mandatory or can it just be removed? I really don't see the function of it.

+1
    No need, its original idea was to hold fuel in the sending unit reservoir when in rough water and fuel is sloshing around, however, since everyone's flapper is warped, that isn't happening anyway, so remove it.

Aha, excellent

Thread Information