WV-1100 Piston ?

Was out riding this weekend when the rear (#3) cylinder stopped firing. So I replace the plug and things are great when all the sudden the ski loses power and stops. I try to turn it over and it is frozen up. Once I get it back on the trailer and pull the rear plug I see it has closed the electrode on the plug. I have it torn down now and the cylinder looks good but the piston has some scoring/cracking around the edges. The motor turns over well now with the head removed so my plan was to replace the #3 piston only and re-ring the rest while I have the cylinders off. My question is, will the standard sbt/pwcengine piston be fine or should I buy the OEM piston? This is my first PWC but I'm very mechanically inclined and was hoping to get out decently cheap.

+1
    Why did the plug gap close? sometimes that means the crank (or crank bearings) is going out.

Cutlass - you are right on.....

Finished pulling it apart tonight and the crank bearing was shot. Cheaper to build or just buy a motor now? What luck.... the other two cylinders look great but this back one is shot. Thought I was getting a good deal on this ski because it only had about 160 hrs. on it.

Also is the 1200 non-pv a direct replacement even if I use all my supporting equipment?

probably cheapest would be an sbt motor replacement, to rebuild with a new crank etc would cost probably 1000 in parts + machine work + build
    as far as the 1200 you need entire engine/carbs/electronics/flywheel etc...but other wise its a drop in..

+1
    I'd just build it myself because I only trust myself. But if I planned on getting it running and selling it, I might buy an engine from PWCengine.com. depending on which way was cheaper.

Thanks, I just really want to put it back stock and ride it for a few years hopefully. Maybe let the kids ride it and buy my wife and I a newer 4-stroke. Thanks all, looks like I'm about to drop $1000 to get this thing back together.

Go premix !!!

Definitely thinking hard about it. Just for future reference what would cause this problem. Front 2 cylinders looked good, back cylinder was dark with bearing turned and rod bent. I had just checked and replaced all three oil lines prier to running it, so I can't figure it unless I have a carb problem that created a lean cylinder.

It sounds like lack of oil to me .Is the rod bearing bad ? It could be a lot of things like no oil, seal leaking, plugged up oilline, Running lean , to hot of a plug

I had recently replaced the oil lines, checked to ensure it was oiling properly and zip-tied the lines to the S/A fittings. I pulled the carbs apart as well and cleaned them out with the exception of the little fuel screens. When torn down, I found the rear bearing was bad/squashed out and the rod was bent. I had just put in new factory spec NGK BR8HS plugs. I'm on the fence about premix vs. injection, I may test the oil pump and replumb the oil lines to feed into the intake vs. feeding up above the carb hats.

Thanks...

Thread Information