Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

xr1800 with yamaha sho/fxr engines

So I bought a this boat few years ago not knowing anything about yamaha jet boats or what engines came with them... got it home to find out I have 2 very poorly installed yamaha sho/fzr supercharged engines. Im just getting time to rebuild and reinstall the engines, so Ill have lots of questions in the coming months! The electrical on one engine was a rats nest, the other looked "ok", but both started and ran smoothly, until some issues surfaced. The right side intermediate carrier bearing housing ripped from the wall its mounted to after seizing so it needs to be replaced. I have already removed all the wiring, the impeller shafts and will be removing the engines this weekend to possibly replace all the bearings in each engine. i plan on reinforcing the wall the carrier bearing housings are mounted to with 1/8th inch aluminum sheets, sandwiching the wall from both sides. The exhaust needs to be rebuilt with new waterboxes and I need to source a wiring harness for the engine with the rats nest wiring.

Questions I have....

I want to replace the carrier bearing housings with something a little stronger, what options do I have? Are they a "universal" part or am I stuck with the original style that came with in the boat?

I also plan on replacing the impellers with a pitch that suits the power of the engines more than the stock impellers would, what do you all recommend pitch wise?

thanks for any advise in advance, im sure ill be on here a lot more in the future!

Sounds like a big project but if you get it going it will be fast. Stock with 1200Rs it goes about 55. Might start with 14-20s.

+1
    O
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyducati View Post
    So I bought a this boat few years ago not knowing anything about yamaha jet boats or what engines came with them... got it home to find out I have 2 very poorly installed yamaha sho/fzr supercharged engines. Im just getting time to rebuild and reinstall the engines, so Ill have lots of questions in the coming months! The electrical on one engine was a rats nest, the other looked "ok", but both started and ran smoothly, until some issues surfaced. The right side intermediate carrier bearing housing ripped from the wall its mounted to after seizing so it needs to be replaced. I have already removed all the wiring, the impeller shafts and will be removing the engines this weekend to possibly replace all the bearings in each engine. i plan on reinforcing the wall the carrier bearing housings are mounted to with 1/8th inch aluminum sheets, sandwiching the wall from both sides. The exhaust needs to be rebuilt with new waterboxes and I need to source a wiring harness for the engine with the rats nest wiring.

Questions I have....

I want to replace the carrier bearing housings with something a little stronger, what options do I have? Are they a "universal" part or am I stuck with the original style that came with in the boat?

I also plan on replacing the impellers with a pitch that suits the power of the engines more than the stock impellers would, what do you all recommend pitch wise?

thanks for any advise in advance, im sure ill be on here a lot more in the future!
    Where are you located ?? I wouldn't mind giving you a hand

Im in Louisville Ky/Southern Indiana area, alittle far to drive from ft lauderdale but you're welcome to join in!

Ive removed both engines and so far so good... The boat had been sitting for the last 2 years untouched and I had expected the worst with the engines but after a little oil in the cylinders both turn rather freely and still have compression (at least when turning the engine with a jack handle from feel they do). Ill be stripping the hull down, repainting the engine lid and bow cover, im thinking dark red to match the Bimini cover that came with the boat. From just looking over the engines a bit, both superchargers will need to be overhauled, im thinking upgraded wheels are in order here are some pictures as promised.
    lots of oxidization on the hull, and a few deep scratches to be fixed as well

what intirior came with the boat is decent, but i only have the top vinyl piece for the bench, looks like a custom flat bench with seat belts is in order!

I have yet to clean the engine bay after removing the 2 engines, its very tight front to rear, and will probably have to get custom air boxes made due to the scant 2 inches between the supercharger intake and the wall of the boat

this area was very very dirty, lots of oil and sand (not a great combo i know) on the bottom. actually cleaned up nice contrary to how the pics make it look.

the right side engine close up, a complete tear down of this particular engine is in order, due to it not cranking before being soaked down with oil in the cylinders

the twins proudly on display the bad part of owning a twin engine boat is that you buy everything in duplicate

Im going to strip the hull of all graphics, re gel coat it and apply some custom look... perhaps a checkered flag down the side. or maybe a ww2 P40 Warhawk design, teeth and all!!

+1
    Thats an awesome build! We just wrapped my buddies pontoon boat with some old skool graphics:

Note the Gattling Gun on the side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	277166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	277167  

+1
    Nice build keep the pics flowing.

Looks good! Keep the pics coming.

So, I'm hoping to see this thing running down the Ohio river next summer?? I'm from Indian about 45min north of Indy but go down to the river around the Warsaw area just up from the belterra

I hope to have it going this winter, the build list is getting longer and longer though...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information