Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: gp1300 Prop?

+1

gp1300 Prop?

I have a 06 gp1300 with free flow, filter and efi controller intake grate , pump seal and riva ride plate. Well i have a 14/20 df prop , but when i install it the ski boggs down, when i put the factory back in its fine. My question is has anybody else had problem and what did you do to fix? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jandis96 View Post
    I have a 06 gp1300 with free flow, filter and efi controller intake grate , pump seal and riva ride plate. Well i have a 14/20 df prop , but when i install it the ski boggs down, when i put the factory back in its fine. My question is has anybody else had problem and what did you do to fix? Thanks
    Typically you can't just run a taller prop without increasing compression. Either mill the head to at least 140 or buy an aftermarket head w/150+ compression. This could explain your bog. Otherwise your EFI settings are off rich/lean. What are they now?

+1
    Thats what i thought about the prop, dont know if i want to go into the head because i still want reliabilty of the ski. About how much does getting the head milled if i go that route? For the the settings i am still playing with to get right on. Another member gave me a starting point with the settings.

Your 1300 should turn a 14/20 prop at least 7000- 7100 rpms, I know mine did with the same mods. Have u done a d-plate? check and make sure its a true 14/20 or smaller on the blades. On the efi controller, you will not need much more fuel than stock. You could also disconnect the controller and see how it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by jandis96 View Post
    Thats what i thought about the prop, dont know if i want to go into the head because i still want reliabilty of the ski. About how much does getting the head milled if i go that route? For the the settings i am still playing with to get right on. Another member gave me a starting point with the settings.
    i'm not sure I understand your question...(I'd recommend doing a search on both head milling specs and read the EFI sticky at the top of this page.)

But if I understand your question, and to be very general, it will cost you about 80 bucks to simply shave off approx. .025 (approx depth of oem head lip), and say run 1 gasket, which in turn should give you about 20 more PSI and help you turn the prop. Keep in mind tho, that 14/20 is part of a complete performance kit that includes 145-150 psi heads, as well as other stuff. So obviously just shaving the head may not ultimately give you the performance you need, unless of course you re-work the squish band on the head itself as required to get to that infamous 150 range. Reading up on those issues should give you a better comfort level...take care.

+1
    Thanks for everything and such quick replys, i think i am going to leave the stock prop in there untill warranty is up. By the way did have the d-plate installed to.

+1
    installing a prop won't void your warranty. how are you still under warranty? yamaha offers a y.e.s (yamaha extended service) for 4 years and starts after the 1 year manufacturer warranty is up. your warranty starts the day of purchase.

+1
    The warranty is on the sbt motor(Was put in right when i bought it) after warranty is up i will go into milling the head. But i just want to go out and have fun, dont have to have the fastest on the water.

+1
    When doing a warranty claim with sbt, do they send you a motor and you send back the core? If so, you can do a milled head and if you need to do a warranty claim just swap out the heads. They'll never know.

prop size

i have a very nice 87mm nozzle that i removed the visible water spout . its welded up and machined smooth on the inside and the outside tube is also gone . its a quick fix to keep your 14 20

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information