Four stroke maintainence

I just purchased a new ski, 2012 gti. This is my first time owning a four stroke so it is much different than what I am used to.

If I get water in the engine compartment,how do I make sure that I do not blow a piston? Should I remove spark plugs and crank the engine?

Can I spray the engine down with water to clean the salt water?

May be stupid questions, but a lot of the ski is electronic now so I do not want to destroy the electronics. I'm used to carrying a rachet with me when I had two stroke
    please let me know if there is anything else that I should know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysso View Post
    I just purchased a new ski, 2012 gti. This is my first time owning a four stroke so it is much different than what I am used to.

If I get water in the engine compartment,how do I make sure that I do not blow a piston? Should I remove spark plugs and crank the engine?

Can I spray the engine down with water to clean the salt water?

May be stupid questions, but a lot of the ski is electronic now so I do not want to destroy the electronics. I'm used to carrying a rachet with me when I had two stroke
    please let me know if there is anything else that I should know.
    Shouldn't have to worry about the water coming in as the bailers will pull most of anything that comes in fairly quickly. I would spray the engine and EVERYTHING within the hull down with Fluid-Film. It will put a protective layer on the engine and will RESIST corrosion. No need to spray any water into the hull.....

I would however spray the outside with water and wipe down with a chamois after each use.

Run the engine on the hose to flush the IC and exhaust for about 2-3 minutes. Do not do it more than that as the ride plate will get too hot as there is no water contacting it to cool it down and in return the engine itself. Change the plugs and oil every 20 hrs and you will have a long long life out of that engine. The manual says every 100, but I disagree and am a profound supporter of preventative maintenance.

The Fluid-Film will protect the interior and the chamois and water will protect the outside.

Plugs can be bought at O'Reily's or Advance Auto Parts for around 2.50 each. They are DCPR8E 4339.

Oil can be gotten at the same places. Valvoline 4-Tec MC oil. It is around 3.99 a qt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304784074.343593.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	276898

Welcome to the 4-stroke side of things.....

Thread Information