Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1994 sl 750 fuel problem

i recently purchased a 1994 sl 750. the guy who i bought it from stuck 2400 dollars into the machine. i picked it up for 500 bucks. it was not run for over 2 years since the engine was rebuilt. (crank , pistons, impeller, solas prop, the whole works). i took it out out on the lake for the first time after i purchased it. it did not run well at all. i figured it was just from sitting for so long with out the machine being winterized. i now have ran about 5 tanks of fuel thru it and replaced the fuel lines that go into the tank since the filters rotted off the ends of the lines. i tired running sea foam in it to clean it out. it runs alot better since i have been runningit, but there is still what i think is a fuel issue? i talked to a local dealer and they told me to try replacing the diaphram in the fuel pump, so i did and it still had the same problem. i tested the compression it had 125 psi on 2 of the cylinders and 100 psi on the other. could the rings be shot on the cylinder with the 100 psi of compression? or is that just from the lack of fuel going to that cylinder.? i also have been reading threads about guys having similar problems and they replaced the stock fuel pump with a aftermarket one with 3 outlets to supply fuel to each carb seperatly. could that also be a problem ? it seems like the ski is only running on 2 cylinders all of the cylinders have good spark. it takes off out of the water very slow and once its out it runs about 28 miles per hour. any ideas on the problems i am having?

+1
    Wow...I get to be the first one to post this:

Here's where you start: http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

I'm surprised that it is running after sitting for two years. Most likely, your problem isn't the gas lines, but the carbs. It's usually the first place to start. However, that compression seems a bit low on the one cylinder (125=good; 100= not so good).

Go to the link above and you'll find vast amounts of information. Once you've done that, come back and post accordingly. Everyone here will help you after you've done your best to educate yourself.

Finally...welcome!

forgot to mention i took the carbs apart and cleaned them. still the same deal . could it be the stock fuel pump is worn out?

+1
    If it's been upgraded to the triple fuel pump, then I doubt that it being worn out is the problem. If it had been sitting for two years, you most likely have a bunch of gunk built up in the carbs and jets as well rigid diaphrams...on and on with these carbs. Also, depending on how the fuel lines were routed when the pump was installed might be an issue. Quite frankly, a lot of dealers don't have a clue what they're looking at when they work on these.

Start with rebuilding the carbs. Honestly, once that is out of the way it will be a hell of a lot easier to diagnose other problems.

Question #1 Whats wrong with my Polaris
    Answer#1,#2,#3,#4, and so on, FUEL FUEL FUEL.

These Fuji motors are prone to fail due fuel issues. Rebuild carbs, and fuel pump <---$10 Kit, and replace all fuel lines, then you will know where to start. 100 PSI, needs something replaced, at least a re hone and some rings if your lucky, you can run it that way but I wouldn't because whatever caused that might do further damage. Keep us updated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cody987 View Post
    forgot to mention i took the carbs apart and cleaned them. still the same deal . could it be the stock fuel pump is worn out?
    Welcome to the Hulk! You do not need to post in more than one section, so stick with this thread for questions/answers.....

The stock fuel pump is worn out. Get yourself a triple outlet upgrade. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...#ht_1279wt_812 best $35 insurance policy out there. This will not likely cure your issues, but it will prevent future more severe issues.

This link is not a way of avoiding giving you advice, it is the best advice to give. http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do Check you carb settings against factory, read through all the contents in the link, and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk! You do not need to post in more than one section, so stick with this thread for questions/answers.....

The stock fuel pump is worn out. Get yourself a triple outlet upgrade. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...#ht_1279wt_812 best $35 insurance policy out there. This will not likely cure your issues, but it will prevent future more severe issues.

This link is not a way of avoiding giving you advice, it is the best advice to give. http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do Check you carb settings against factory, read through all the contents in the link, and go from there.
    THought he already had triple or I would have told him the same.

Name:  j.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  12.6 KB
    Attachment 276972
    Attachment 276972
    Attachment 276973
    Attachment 276974

is this the way the original fuel lines are ran or did some one rig this?

the main fuel line comes out from the pump then there is a T and spits and then conects into 2 T's on the fuel rail? is that correct ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by K447; 07-15-2012 at 07:34 AM.

+1
    Okay...that's a mess. They just teed off the pump. You might have inputs to each carb, but only one outlet from the pump; not three.

This is how it should look:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0874.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	276989

[

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information