Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salt water maintenence- Flush, fog or both?

Well the title says it all... Right now on my 01 XPL I just flush and wash the exterior and engine bay. I heard that it was good to fog because it will prolong the engine in the long run. I am afraid that I will be fouling plugs like crazy. But its not the cost of the plugs that I am worried about it is the fact that when I ride I have about a 30-35 min ride in a canal from the ramp out to the water and this is at around idle speed. I don't want to have to change plugs in the middle of the canal! Is there anyway I can avoid this? I could just have two sets of plugs and fog on one set, take them out, let them dryout and go out and ride with the second set of plugs and alternate. Does this sound like it will work? Also, stupid question but the propper way to fog is through the carbs right? I will be putting a f/a kit on but I coud just take them off and spray the fogging oil in right?

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    i fog the crap out of mine every time we ride, no plug issues....don't have a long idle at the launch though. i don't think the fogging will effect it as much as that long idle so you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    i fog the crap out of mine every time we ride, no plug issues....don't have a long idle at the launch though. i don't think the fogging will effect it as much as that long idle so you should be fine.
    What will the long idle do, hurt the plugs more?

+1
    Fogging Oil
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=storefront/fog
    Offers superior film retention, providing long-term protection against corrosion and dry starts, extending engine life and reducing operating expenses. Its aerosol spray formulation offers easy and clean applications, while reaching more components and offering better distribution than straight motor oil.

give it a fogging after each flogging. I fog my ski after every ride. No spark plug problems to date

+1
    Ski: Flush, Fog, Rinse, Repeat

Hull:Siphon, Rinse, Repeat.

Trailer:Rinse, Repeat.

Folks forget about the ol' trailer.
    Your trailer should be washed down after every ride too. Salt water can dry on surfaces, especially trailering long distances, and solidify on the metal in a fairly neutralized state. But as soon as you back it down in the water, salt or fresh, BAM it starts attacking the metal again. Even galvinized trailers will rust if that brine can get in the joints.

Spot on hydro. I always give my trailer a clean down after each ride. Here in Oz their isn't many fresh water places to ride. in WA anyway there isn't.

what is fogging???????

+1
    seadoo951...fog the hell out of it,we on the other side do all the time i personaly do it after every ride..if you worried about a fail up on the plugs..run on hose or just run for 30 seconds before launch,none of mine have ever oiled the plugs and i put crap loads down each ride...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFT View Post
    what is fogging???????
    its a s thin sticky oil ish substance that get sprayed into air box or down plugs if sealed or hidded air box that coats the internals of your engine i.e big and small ends that prevents rust starting and gives a good internal protection for two stroke motors...not sure if you can fog a 4 stroke nore can i see why you would..but i am sure a seadoo guy wil post if i am wrong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information