Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can a high oil level cause a supercharger failure??

Can a high oil level cause a supercharger failure??

Have both an 07 RXP and RXT I got them back from the dealer after getting them dewinterized, took them out on the lake to run out the old gas, give it a shake down etc.. max RPM's were low on both 6300 rpm. Attributed it to old gas, put in fresh 92 octane. No change. Checked all the hoses for leaks etc. none found.

Checked oil level cold on the trailer. It is 1.5 inches above the high mark / bend on both skiís, trailer was level. Removed the hose from the SC to see if I could spin it and I can by hand on both ski's.

Has anyone ever heard of an oil issue causing a SC failure?? How would you proceed with the dealer. All service has been done by the dealer, original washers in the SC's 124 hours on the RXP, 109 on the RXT.

The skis were fine and the SCís tight prior to winterization / dewinterization. After dewinterization both oil levels are high and neither SC is tight nor do they spool up. No codes, odd noises or vibrations.

Thanks Darrin

+1
    Welcome to the forum. Dont Run the Ski!! Did you take the throttle body hoses off the ski and charger to see if you can spin the supercharger wheels by hand? Did you replace spark plugs? I would pull the chargers either way and have them rebuilt as you are very lucky to have gone this long with out a failure HOPEFULLY. Chargers need to be rebuilt either way...

Thanks Adam, Yes i did take the hose off and both SC spin by hand. I am taking to the dealer today. However it seems beyond coincidence to me that both SC's would fail on both ski's at the same time, while they were winterized. The only anomoly I can find is that the oil level is about twice what it should be in both ski's and was wondering if that can be a contributing factor to the failure that I can bring up to the dealer

Thanks
    Darrin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superd66 View Post
    Thanks Adam, Yes i did take the hose off and both SC spin by hand. I am taking to the dealer today. However it seems beyond coincidence to me that both SC's would fail on both ski's at the same time, while they were winterized. The only anomoly I can find is that the oil level is about twice what it should be in both ski's and was wondering if that can be a contributing factor to the failure that I can bring up to the dealer

Thanks
    Darrin
    Hi oil level In my opinion will not cause supercharger clutch problems.
    Save your self a lot of time and money. pull the chargers yourself and if they need to be rebuilt send them to Jerry.
    The dealer will most likely charge you more and do a poor job.

There is Do it your self step by step instructions on this site that will help you through it!

+1
    If they spin freely, then unfortunately they are both needing to be rebuilt..., and engines cleaned out properly.

If they are tight, then the motor will turn as you turn the SC shaft....

High Oil level should have nothing to do with a SC failure. It Usually effects RPM's, and can smoke alot if overfilled tho.

+1
    If you had ceramic clutches fail that might be a very big expense.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    If they spin freely, then unfortunately they are both needing to be rebuilt..., and engines cleaned out properly.

High Oil level should have nothing with a SC failure. It Usually effects RPM's, and can smoke alot if overfilled tho.
    +1 Engines need to be pulled on both skis and taken apart and cleaned properly. You cant just slap on new rebuild kits... Then u will have a ticking time Bomb.

+1
    ticking adambomb.

+1
    Whoa, hold on a moment here guys.......just b/c the charger can be spun by hand does not mean the engines have to be removed, disassembled, and flushed.

To the OP, pull the chargers and inspect them first. If there is any lateral movement or looseness (sideway movement) of the wheel and/or shaft then a rebuild is needed. If the bearings and clutches are still intact thats a good sign. If everything checks out, then simply re-set the slip moment. If you have the ceramic clutches change them for the newest clutches from SeaDoo or Riva. Oh, and welcome to the Hulk!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    ticking adambomb.

LMAO

My 1st motor went threw 3 or 4 ceramic clutch failures, before I read on this site, about the damage it does to your oil pumps, and other vital parts Needless to say the motor was pulled out, and cleaned throughly, and put back in with all new pumps, and now the latest metal clutches. Driving it with out a good cleaning will make the repair bill a lot more expensive down the road.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information