94 SL 750 Good buy?

I have a 94 slt needs a motor, found a guy on craigslist that is selling his 94 sl 750 on trailor for $550 ,say it needs a gas tank told me it ran before he bought it and let it sit for 2 years. I would have to travel to get this and not sure if I would have to remove the engine to swap out the tank from mine to his. I think the only difference between the sl and slt is reverse right? Also wondering what would be going on with the tank. Do you think this is worth a 3 hr trip? I got a message to him to call me to answer some more questions. I dont have a compression tester Im sure I can get one "anyway" What do you think?

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Questions I would ask before going:
    -will it crank? (this is huge to me, if it won't crank it has to go for cheap IMHO, as there is no telling how many issues it might have)
    -is it in pieces (if so then hard to tell what is missing)
    -trailer is registered? tires are good? obviously make sure you have the right ball on your vehicle.
    -clean title?
    -2 years sitting is a warning to me...neglect kills mechanical devices.

If the trailer is sound and there are no paperwork issues, the price sounds OK to me.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Djaypro View Post
    I have a 94 slt needs a motor, found a guy on craigslist that is selling his 94 sl 750 on trailor for $550 ,say it needs a gas tank told me it ran before he bought it and let it sit for 2 years. I would have to travel to get this and not sure if I would have to remove the engine to swap out the tank from mine to his. I think the only difference between the sl and slt is reverse right? Also wondering what would be going on with the tank. Do you think this is worth a 3 hr trip? I got a message to him to call me to answer some more questions. I dont have a compression tester Im sure I can get one "anyway" What do you think?

The SL is a 2 seater that may have trim and the SLT is a 3 seater with reverse and no trim. I think that ski is not worth that kind of money, especially with that kind of drive. I know different regions demand different prices, but here in NY jet skis are EXPENSIVE, and Id be hard pressed to pay much more than $400 locally for that ski. Unless you can see the motor running, I think you should spend the additonal money for a rebuilt engine or rebuild it yourself.
    Too many times the cranks are damaged, rusted or out of phase.

I would keep looking

I just bought a SL 750 for 500.00 it needs a cylinder.. Everything else is great on it.. But all I need off it is the E-Box.. If you are interested in it I will sell it to you for 400.00 with the trailer. Let me know. Compression is at 130 in the other 2 cylinders.. It starts right now with the Ebox in it!

+1
    You don't have to remove the engine to remove/install gas tanks. But...you can't swap SL and SLT tanks as they're entirely different.

An afterthought; Why is the tank missing/bad? That in itself sounds wierd. I've parted out a lot of skis, and none of them have had a bad tank.
    Last edited by Superd2K; 07-10-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: afterthought

I was saying just come buy this SL750 from me and all you need is a Ebox which are on Ebay for around 100-150 complete and a piston/ Cylinder all which are easy to get online cheap 75.00. You can have a running ski for around $550.00... I would probably even let it go for $375.00.. I'm located near cincinnati, Oh

Im in california,, The guy has not got back to me. If the tank wont swap then I wouldn't want this one anyway.. Great info guys Im still looking

I'll ship you this gas tank if you still need one.. I think I'm going to part this spare out from the stuff I don't need! Let me know if interested and we can work something out. Thanks Chris

Thread Information