Looking for some advice

I am looking at purchasing a used 2009 yamaha waverunner vx deluxe with 115 hours on it. Can someone please advise me on what I should be looking for before I purchase it. The asking price is $5000.00.

the only way i would buy a used ski is if i knew the person selling it.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    The VX Deluxe is pretty much bullet proof if maintained properly..... ask if they have any service paperwork,check oil, check the air filter element, look at the pump make sure theres no damage to the prop or wear ring, a general look over should give you an idea of how it was taken care of ....take it for a good 10 to 15 mins ride, check oil and air filter again, look for water in the hull....... 115 hours on those skis, it is just getting broke in good......

+1
    Do not buy it if you can not ride it first.

+1
    I wouldn't purchase it unless I could try it first. Aside from everything that everyone has already posted I would make sure to give it full throttle on takeoff to see if there's any cavitation. Cavitation may indicate that it needs a new pump housing (wear ring) and/or prop which could easily cost $600 plus. If you can, put a second rider on it with you to see how it performs under stress.

+1
    Check it over carefully for rust/corrosion, especially the engine. Take it for a ride. If you have only ridden 2 strokes in the past, you'll be amazed at how smooth the engine accellerates and how much smoother it rides. If it's been well maintained, 115 hours is nothing. In my opinion, $5000 is slightly steep, but not outrageous, especially if it comes with a trailer. If no trailer, then the price is definitely on the high side

Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    Check it over carefully for rust/corrosion, especially the engine. Take it for a ride. If you have only ridden 2 strokes in the past, you'll be amazed at how smooth the engine accellerates and how much smoother it rides. If it's been well maintained, 115 hours is nothing. In my opinion, $5000 is slightly steep, but not outrageous, especially if it comes with a trailer. If no trailer, then the price is definitely on the high side

I will take everyone's advice and I am going to take it out this Saturday. The waverunner does come with a trailer and cover and has a transferable warranty that is good for another year. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to post pictures?

+1
    I think $5k for a 2009 VX is steep. Retail at the time was what...about $8K? I don't place much faith in NADA on skis but here you go. http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2009...dard-Equipment

We see them in our area for $4K pretty regularly. As said above they are bulletproof if maintained. Higher hours won't mean much if taken care of.

Look for....
    Strong pisser; get under it and look back at the impeller (is it dinked up); outside on the pump nozzle, ride plate and intake grate (corrosion?); engine compartment any rust on anything? pitting on the aluminum parts? Pull the plugs, are they clean? Can you do a compression check, are all cylinders the same?; Does the steering column have any play? Get underneath and check the hull, minor scratches no big deal, gouges bigger deal, holes walk away. When you ride it does it perform to your satisfaction? In other words do you think you can be happy with acceleration and top speed for awhile? Almost all other skis will be quicker and faster but this is a great cruiser, reliable and fun. Are there any modifications? If only bolt ons ok but internal then the warranty is likely void.

On your pre purchase ride; ride it for as long as possible and try to break it, ride it rough hard on the throttle.

Thread Information