msx 150 only 4900 rpms

My msx 150 will only rev up to 4900 rpms and I have checked waste gate and it moves freely. Red light flashes 7 times and check engine light comes on for a few seconds and than shuts off. Any advise will be very welcome..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by City racing View Post
    My msx 150 will only rev up to 4900 rpms and I have checked waste gate and it moves freely. Red light flashes 7 times and check engine light comes on for a few seconds and than shuts off. Any advise will be very welcome..
    Welcome to Green Hulk!
    Sorry for your troubles... but you found fellow MSX110/150 owners... so we understand where you're coming from.

When did this start? Did it run great before and just started or did you just get the ski and this is how you got it? Did you recently change the oil or roll the ski in the water? Any other "events" with the ski prior to this happening?

The ECU in our skis limit revs to certain levels based on problems the ECU perceives. In your case, the ~4900 rpm limit points to an overboost condition detected by the ECU. This is commonly is a result of a stuck wastegate where the ECU can't stop the boosting. But you mentioned your wastegate lever is moving. By moving freely I'm guessing you mean you can push it about an inch (downward when on the ski) and it snaps back shut via spring pressure.

The next common failure on the turbo side is the wastegate solenoid. This is how the ECU controls boost by sending boost pressure to the wastegate actuator to open the wastegate. The solenoids can go bad and stop switching. This usually leads to a max 6psi boost since the solenoids usually fail in the normally powered-off state. Find your solenoid and disconnect the wires. Apply + and - 12vdc to it and listen for it to "click" when power is applied and removed. When it clicks, it will redirect which outlet is open to the air flow. I've heard of these failing.

If not that... time to check other things. What is your oil level set at in the oil tank dipstick. It can not be higher than MIN when hot. See other threads here about improper oil level markings on the dipstick. Do you have any milky oil issues? Do you have any oil in the turbo-to-intercooler or intercooler-to-intake hoses? How is your compression?

Let's start there. Give us some more details and we'll try to help you pin-point the troubles!
    Cheers!

ripcuda
    Thank you for the advise I checked wastegate solenoid works properly. Oil looks good (Color) just a little unclear on how to check it. No oil in innercooler.
    However I found the air intake boot loose on the intake manifold so I clamped it back on and going to the lake today to check it. How do I go about clearing the codes?
    Thanks again.

+1
    The proper oil level check is this:
    -cold engine
    -level ski
    -start for 30 seconds... turn off
    -pull oil tank dipstick and wipe clean
    -insert dipstick but do NOT thread it in
    -pull and read oil level
    -should be below MIN mark or just barely on dipstick.
    >> level will rise when warm up to the MIN mark which is where you want it. MAX mark is too full

As for clearing codes... this will self clear on the next start once the condition is no longer present. After a few start/stop cycles, the ECU will move this error code from current to history in memory. Only other way would be to hook up ECU/ski to Polaris Digital Wrench... and good luck finding a dealer that still has the Polaris PWC hookup cables or know how.

Hope your leaky hoses were the trouble. Good luck!

SHE IS ALIVE. Runs super fast and so fun. Thank you again for all your help

Thread Information