99 gsx limited help

I'm looking into buying my first jet ski and this guy has one for sale on craigslist who says that the jet ski was running fine and then all of a sudden stopped and would not run anymore. They tried to keep starting it and it wouldn't start so they just parked it and went and bought a boat. He said he did take it to get looked at and they said it could use a new top end but that he is not sure why the jet ski will not start and just all of a sudden died. I know i have rode dirt bikes and four wheelers that were way past need of new top ends but would still start. So my question is what could be the problem other than maybe a new top end. I asked him to check and he said it does have the grey lines and so I was thinking maybe fuel related? Maybe the carb is all junked up and just needs to be cleaned? Any help would be appreciated. I have asked him to do a compression test on it but he says he does not have the gauge to do one and I live three hours from him.

+1
    Tell him to spray a little of starting fluid trough the carbs and try to start it. If it goes start rebuilding the carbs (change fuel lines , fuel selector etc..) Compression is a must.

If it was in need of a new top end and he tried to do a compression check could it mess up the cylinders even more. He said he was worried about that and messing it up even worse. Could this happen or is it just something that needs to be done anyways so that it can be tested?

Any more help is much appreciated

+1
    If he is worried about causing more damage ask him to remove the cyl head and to look the walls . That way it can tell if the pistons are bad . Not hard to do. When remove the head ,turn the engine from the PTO and look inside. Ask for pics.

Thread Information