looking for a donor motor for my gtx 787, came across a 97 xp 800! xp better?

asking around and came across a 97 xp 800, its a friend of mine, the motor has 108 hrs, been sitting around covered for about 2 years, asking 600 for it, the shaft seal or rubber is damaged (ripped on the outside, caused by a rope) letting water go in slowly, he took the pump off and left it sitting,motor is not seized. what do you think about the price, i was thinking to use the motor for my GTX, but know i think the xp might be fun to ride and easier to get it going. and take my time on fixing the gtx motor.

+1
    better pull the head 1st so that you can see the real condition of the motor...and better to tear it apart change all gaskets and perform leak test before using it.

i will get the ski til next week , i plan to do a compression test first, and go from there. clean the carbs, change plugs, clean the gas tank, change the grey fuel lines and pretty much check everything i could. my friend is the original owner, so he knows the story on the ski. he starts it every once in a while and fogged it, the last time was early 2011.

what do i need to do a leak test?

a small pump w/ gauge (pop-off tester) and intake / exhaust block off plates

+1
    check for leaks at the crank seals area...they are prone to leaking even with new oil seals and sealants.

finally got it! put key in 2 beeps and got nothing.(motor turns when i bridge solenoid) i started a diff post on this! also bend drive shaft, and bad shaft carrier bearing..took shaft out, i'll need to find a parts diagram to see what i need, was partially dissasembled..i think i need to start motor before i buy parts for shaft. if i need to many parts i will use motor as donor for my gtx..

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    if you got two beeps then no clicks I would think that its the solenoid. replace that then see where your at.

Thread Information