1992 Kawasaki 750sx...relay?...starter?...bendix?...issue

Hey, my good old standup has a starting issue, it fires up on the stand no-prob but in the water after a short period it will just make a light knock when attempting to re-start and won't turn over, I replaced the relay OEM and had the same effect, I then pulled the starter which looks clean and I will test it. Could the knock be the starter engaging into the bendix and the bendix not functioning properly?, I remember I previously replaced the bendix but NOT OEM...uh oh. Also, I have an MSD ignition, the knock noise I hear seems to be generating from the ignition box although that may be an illusion to the ears. I have tapped the starter when the problem happens and on occasion that works...but not always. Any thoughts would be great!!!.

Banned User
    +1
    Bad starter most likely when the bendix goes bad it just spins and won't engage the fly wheel. Or stays stuck open witch would fry the starter if the motor started while stuck engaged.

3. +1 by:

+1
    You say that you tap the starter when it happens and it works, what does that mean? Does it not crank? Your post is confusing.

agreed, most likely the starter, when I say tapped the starter I mean by using a tool to reach in there and tap the starter case to free up the brushes if stuck (corrosion?)

+1
    As old as it is, it wouldn't hurt to open up the starter. You can buy rebuild kits on Ebay pretty cheap, but keep in mind that the bearings don't fit (I've bought 4 or 5 of them).

7. +1 by:

Thread Information