Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Where's this primer line supposed to of been attached?

So I'm pulling the carbs for a rebuild and I was trying figure out where the primer lines attached. I saw the lines resting on the right side of the hull under the air box area. When I tried tracing them I realized they weren't attached to anything! I didn't pull on the lines at all, just ran my fingers along them to see where they went. I swear to god, this gd mechanic I used was a piece of work.

I posted awhile back that I had oil in the hull from an unknown source, ski is premix done by the same guy. He claimed the oil was just residual from doing the conversion, he said some leaked when he pulled the lines. Well a few weeks back I got a low oil warning buzzer. I haven't gotten that far but I bet the tank was leaking the oil he never took out of the tank. My guess is whatever he used to plug it came off which is why I have a crap load of oil in the hull. What a freakin tool.

Floating primer line

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341984606.521846.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	277014

Oil all in the hull

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341984629.819009.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	277015

I'm installing a primer as we speak. I've read to place the pickup line in the fuel return line instead of placing it in the reserve line. There is a way to block off the oil sensor so the ski thinks it has oil in the tank. It an easy fix by using some zip ties. Just take off the cap and zip tie the floats to keep them at the top and the oils sensor will not go off. It sounds like the oil line is not plugged of it was down poorly. You will have to get to the bottom of the oil tank and plug the main line. Hope this helps. Also how does the primer work?

+1
    FWIW on my 97 gp1200 the plug for the oil level sensor is jumped using a jumper looking piece of metal thingy. This makes it show full on the display. Don't know what ski your on but I would think it would be the same. I guess you could also cut wire On either side of it and splice them together.

+1
    Took the carbs off. The fittings for the primer were just friction fit into holes he drilled in the plastic air box cover. Friction fit is a loose term because they were extremely loose. I'm guessing the guy I paid to do this took the easiest route and didn't want to remove anymore than he had to in order to do it the right way.

+1
    The oil leak was coming from the shitty job he did blocking off the tube coming off the oil tank. He stuck a bolt up there secured with a zip tie. He could of at least used a hose clamp. What a mess!

+1
    If I were you I would remove the oil tank. Is the oil pump remove or did he just disconnect the hoses?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by akjose View Post
    If I were you I would remove the oil tank. Is the oil pump remove or did he just disconnect the hoses?
    I was thinking about doing that while I'm in there and it's all apart. He did in fact remove the oil pump though.

+1

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342229224.173344.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	277250

Oh, NO WAY! I'd go get my money back. The proper way to install that is to pull the carbs, remove the choke plates, and put the injector nozzles in the shaft holes for the choke plates (there should be a blockoff on one side). It is a SERIOUS pain in the ass to pull everything apart and do that, but Jesus...

I used locktite to make sure all the brass plugs/jets stay put, because otherwise, they'll probably vibrate out. It IS a lot more work to do it right, but anybody I know who calls themselves a mechanic would be utterly embarrassed to let something like that out of their shop.

Do it right, or don't do it at all! Any redneck can drill a couple holes in his arrestor cover, and half-ass it like that!

Seriously, find a new mechanic.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey View Post
    Oh, NO WAY! I'd go get my money back. The proper way to install that is to pull the carbs, remove the choke plates, and put the injector nozzles in the shaft holes for the choke plates (there should be a blockoff on one side). It is a SERIOUS pain in the ass to pull everything apart and do that, but Jesus...

I used locktite to make sure all the brass plugs/jets stay put, because otherwise, they'll probably vibrate out. It IS a lot more work to do it right, but anybody I know who calls themselves a mechanic would be utterly embarrassed to let something like that out of their shop.

Do it right, or don't do it at all! Any redneck can drill a couple holes in his arrestor cover, and half-ass it like that!

Seriously, find a new mechanic.
    Guess work like that explains why my hulls full of oil from the premix conversion. Unfortunately he did my wife's too. Hers is running ok though so no need to rip it all apart yet. Can't tell you how bad it sucks to pay good money like that and find something like this. At least it can be fixed. Carbs are on the way to Rich, he's going to fix it all up for me primer included.
    Last edited by xray328; 07-17-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information