Yamaha FZS Fuel Pump Problem

Hey everyone - I'm new to the site. I have a 2009 FZS (bought it as a leftover in 2011) that's stock and at 67.5 hours it died going around 40mph. I tried to start it back up, but it kept shutting off after 10-15 seconds and sounded really bogged down. I figured it was a fuel problem because of the way it was struggling to stay running. I brought it into the Yamaha dealership and it took them 3.5 weeks to figure out it was the fuel pump. It's covered under warranty still, so I'm not too worried about it.

I called the dealership multiple times complaining that it doesn't take this long to diagnose a problem on a jet ski, yet alone fix one. I just called Yamaha about it and they're giving me some free accessories, but it just doesn't seem good enough. The ski will be in the shop five weeks if it's done this weekend. Anyone else have problems with a long turnaround on their FZ or a fuel pump problem?

+1
    Welcome to "that time of year". I know it sucks, but dealerships are really backed up. You're just another ski that needed to be fixed to them, be thankful they came off any accessories. The time likely wasn't in diagnosis, but in getting through the queue to your ski.
    If the fuel pump doesn't fix the issue, you might start pushing for a warranty increase - maybe they'd add another year on for good measure.

+1
    Anyone else have problems with a long turnaround on their FZ or a fuel pump problem?
    Nope; nearly 400 trouble-free hours on our 2 FZ's,
    but try getting a repair on a Sea-Doo in the middle of the summer; ask me how I know.
    Sometimes it comes down to the dealer's incompetence or parts availability; just a simple gasket or special bolt can be a bitch to locate. I'm kinda surprised you got free accessories; hope you get it sorted out soon.

+1
    I've been waiting for 3(THREE) weeks for my dealer to get me a simple set of sparkplugs...lol..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Struck View Post
    I've been waiting for 3(THREE) weeks for my dealer to get me a simple set of sparkplugs...lol..
    If you need those plugs quickly try here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ronhollenbeck View Post
    If you need those plugs quickly try here.

Ended up running the Iridiums that Hitman suggested (Autolite XP5325) and carefully gapped them to .030

Thread Information