Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

are the strainer/filters a good thing?

I have a buddy that keeps talking about a strainer he just purchased to put in his cooling hose. I guess it keeps from sucking sand and crap into the engine cooling system. Do these things work and do they reduce performance in any way? I can't see how they would reduce performance but are there any cons for putting one in?

+1
    my groco strainer cracked and almost sank my ski....I ran mud bug and all summer and never got anything in the filter..so I deleted it from my ski...one less thing to go wrong......imho

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    my groco strainer cracked and almost sank my ski....I ran mud bug and all summer and never got anything in the filter..so I deleted it from my ski...one less thing to go wrong......imho
    AGREE, my buddy has like 4 of those filters on his Turbo ski, i keep telling him that if one of those things break hes gonna sink and he wont to take that shit off. Hope they never break or i will be towing a ski back to the ramp.

+1
    I had two strainers, one on the engine cooling line and one on a dedicated line I installed which feeds my aftermarket intercooler.

Engine cooling line strainer had issues with airlocks & overheat warnings after prolonged idles in no-wake zones. I believe I had that strainer installed too high in the hull and could have addressed it by repositioning low in the hull, in line with the pump outlet line. At the time, I just opted to delete it. I did retain the IC strainer since the flush procedure is more involved for that component, it's not critical at idle and that strainer had never caused problems.

Per post #2: If you want the added protection a strainer offers, carry a spare strainer cup and O-ring to be on the safe side.

+1
    I'm glad this got posted. I was about to order one of those since I've started riding on the shallow river. I'll just stay away from the shallow parts.

+1
    I think i will do the same avoid the strainer and try to avoid sandbars.

+1
    I use my strainer for a catch can..

+1
    I also run a strainer. When ever I clean the strainer I have never seen anything in there that would not pass straight through the intercooler. I am thinking of getting rid of it also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    I had two strainers, one on the engine cooling line and one on a dedicated line I installed which feeds my aftermarket intercooler.

Engine cooling line strainer had issues with airlocks & overheat warnings after prolonged idles in no-wake zones. I believe I had that strainer installed too high in the hull and could have addressed it by repositioning low in the hull, in line with the pump outlet line. At the time, I just opted to delete it. I did retain the IC strainer since the flush procedure is more involved for that component, it's not critical at idle and that strainer had never caused problems.

Per post #2: If you want the added protection a strainer offers, carry a spare strainer cup and O-ring to be on the safe side.
    the spare cup and O-ring is a great idea....but my cup cracked at the top by the threads while I was riding...there was no way to avoid the sinking feeling I recived.......I have seen some billet aluminum strainer/filters for transmissions , im not sure they flow enough for what we use them for.

+1
    I don't see a reason to use one on the engine cooling side. Any trash small enough to get through the strainer on the pump should go right through without clogging anything. I often ride in rivers where there's lots of crap in the water & have never had an issue. There's also no need for one with a stock IC. The water passages in the core are very large & pretty much impossible to clog. I installed a Groco on mine when I upgraded my IC. So far so good after about 40 hrs, but after reading about problems others have had with them I started carrying a straight 1/2" barbed fitting in my toolkit so I can quickly bypass the strainer if it breaks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information