Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 STX 900 wont go over 5200 RPM

I have a 2000 STX 900. To start I had a major brain fart a few weeks back and mixed way to much oil to gas. I figured this out after running the ski for a good half hour and it ran like crap. Bad idle, bogging. I started by turning the air screws on each carb out 3/4 turn from set. still bogged out and that's when I realized I over mixed the gas. Yes I filled the cup and twice to mix 5 gallons of gas. in my defense my wife was 9 months pregnant and nagging the hell out of me for going out on the ski
    Drained all the gas out, filled it with fresh mixed gas ( correct ratio), new fuel filter, plugs, and took the carbs off and gave them a good cleaning. I turned the air screw on each carb back to 1/2 turn out from set
    Now the ski wont go over 5200 RPM under load. It idles nice, takes off ok but once it hits 5200 RPM it maxes out around 30 MPH. NO bogging or dieing out. Ran the ski for a good hour one day and another hour the next. Plugs are pretty black but Ive seen it runner better with worse plugs.
    I checked the rubber hose off the exhaust manifold and sprayed it with soapy water, cant find any leaks. Will rev over 5200 RPM on the hose and with the seat on it.
    Water is flowing nicely from the cooling system and there is nothing blocking or clogged in the jet drive.

Any one have any ideas ?????

+1
    If you're saying that you didn't run enough oil, there's a good chance you scored the cylinders. Run a compression test and report back.

Steve, I meant I was running way to much oil. The measure cups for the oil I filled right to the top way past 50/1. The wife was yapping at me and I wasn't paying attention.

+1
    Good. You'll probably need to run it and check the plugs to determine how to adjust the carbs.

Correction, I didn't drain all the gas out, I removed 5 gallons and replaced it with 2.5 gallons straight gas and 2.5 gallons premixed. If there was still a shit ton of oil in there would it be running so rich it's not hitting max rpm's ?

+1
    If you opened the screws 3/4 turn and closed them 1/2 turn, try closing them a little more. Try cleaning the plugs or replacing them. If that doesn't help, do a compression test.

Also, try feeling the spark plugs after running it a few minutes (in the water). If one isn't hot, it's not firing.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Post Your Technical Information Here "NOT A QUESTION SECTION"

If you have any information you'd like to post in the technical section, please post it here and I will move it to its appropriate location.
    I will remove the post once it's dropped into its new location.
    Should post in other section.

+1
    Yeah! I was hoping you'd move it, meangreenman!

Drained tank dry , new gas, new plugs, new filter. Same problem grrrrrr

From the back of the ski looking foward the first plug was clean with some gas just sitting on it. The middle and last plug were dirty but not fouled. My buddy is a Seadoo mechanic and thinks either a bad Reed or something stuck in the jet not letting air through. Thoughts ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information