2003 MSX 140 Questions

New to Greenhulk, and new to ski's. Bought my first ski last fall. 2003 msx 140 with 24 hrs on it. I have a few questions that I'd appreciate some help on.

When replacing the starter relay (starter solenoid), do you attempt to drill the rivets out that hold it fastened to the hull? Seems like if I drilled just a hair too deep, I could go right through the hull. Where do you mount the new solenoid?

And how do I find out If any bulletins have already been addressed? My HID is PLE27565D303.

I read somewhere that the stator bolts from the factory are slightly too long and should be removed, ground down, and then replaced?
    How much shorter do they need to be on my 2003 msx 140 so that they do not come loose?

I have already addressed the fuel line issue and ordered a new TPS, thermostat/pop off valve, starter solenoid

Any help is greatly appreciated

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The MSX has an inner liner that holds the rivets for the start solenoid. You just need to be careful while drilling out the old rivets. There is an air gap between the outer hull and the inner hull liner.

I have not seen the longer Ficht stator bolt problem myself, but my understanding is that the bolts were only a couple of millimeters too long. You should be able to measure the depth of the bolt hole and determine what length the bolts need to be.

If there are square service stickers on the side of the flame arrestor they can indicate what service/recall work was done. Otherwise, you need to ask a Polaris dealer to look up the HIN number and see what the database says. I do not know if Polaris themselves can provide this info.

I do not know how common the problem actually was or how many machines were affected. It is possible your machine does not have an issue with the stator bolts.

Thanks for the response

So would you even bother to take the bolts out? Should I just leave it alone and change the other parts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gomez View Post
    Thanks for the response

So would you even bother to take the bolts out? Should I just leave it alone and change the other parts?
    At this moment I cannot recall whether the long stator bolts was a problem with _some_ stock 2003 MSX 140 or with the Matrix 200 conversions

+1
    The "long stator bolt" problem was with the stock MSX 140, and it does indeed exist. It doesn't happen to all of them, but some of them for sure. I bought an early run, 2003 MSX 140 brand new in 2003. It was 19 or 20 hrs. of ride time later that it was at the dealer getting torn down and fixed.....and it was a mess in there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    ...and it was a mess in there.
    What were the problem symptoms while running and what damaged occurred?

What would be considered early run in your opinion? Mine is a D303 so that would be April. And it has 24 hrs on it. Curious to hear what damaged was caused

Banned User
    +1
    I was told the A and B date code models had the stator bolt issue.

Thread Information