How do you rebuild a 1992 SL650 146mm jet pump?

I would like to rebuild my pump (Bearings, seals, O-rings, ) on my 1992 SL650.

I do know it has the first generation non-modular 146mm jet pump, because they were only used in 1992 (SL650) and 1993 (SL650, SL750).

My question is since I won't be taking the engine out and moving it off of its mounts, can I just slide the driveshaft back in without realigning?

If I were to get a 148mm pump from a newer '94 sl650 would it bolt right to the hull or would I need to modify something?
    Last edited by K447; 07-15-2012 at 12:29 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by triplekoin View Post
    I would like to rebiuld my pump (O-rings, Bearings) on my 1992 SL650. I do know it has the first generation non-modular 146mm jet pump, because they were only used in 1992 (SL650) and 1993 (SL650, SL750). My question is since I won't be taking the engine out and moving it off of its mounts, can I just slide the driveshaft back in without realigning? If I were to get a 148mm pump from a newer '94 sl650 would it bolt right to the hull or would I need to modify somthin?
    Get a 148mm. So many more options and replacement part options...

Its really pricy to update my pump (unless there's a deal out there) I think if I spend 50 bucks on a rebiuld kit. Maybe in the future I 'll update my pump but for now just need a reliable sl650 so my girlfriend can ride it. I'll be on my sl750 doing lapps around her lol! I don't think I would have to realign anything since the motor will be kept in my hull. Should just be able to pull it out and push it back in I would think?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by triplekoin View Post
    Its really pricy to update my pump (unless there's a deal out there) I think if I spend 50 bucks on a rebiuld kit. Maybe in the future I 'll update my pump but for now just need a reliable sl650 so my girlfriend can ride it. I'll be on my sl750 doing lapps around her lol! I don't think I would have to realign anything since the motor will be kept in my hull. Should just be able to pull it out and push it back in I would think?
    I really don't know that much about rebuilding the older pumps, maybe someone else that has experience with them can chime in. I would think if you remove the pump in its entirety from the hull, it may shift during reinstallation, or maybe not....

Here's instructions from a '95

’95 SL 750, How to Do, a Jet Pump Bearing/Seal Replacement

Replacing the bearings and seals is pretty straightforward job if you have the proper tools.
    After removing the pump assy from the ski, disassemble far enough to get the rear cone off. Put it in a vise, and using the special tool (about $10.00) remove the impeller, (cc/w).

You can now punch out the bearings and seals by using about a 6-8 inch long punch (using a good size hammer). There is ample room to move the spacer around, it seems easier to go through the middle of it vs. the side of it to drive them out.

Next de-grease and clean up the housing.

Put it in an oven for about 45 minutes set at 212 degrees F.

While this is heating, put the bearings in a freezer for about the same length of time.

Now it is ready to assemble. The bearings will almost slide in with hand pressure; you might have to nudge with a hammer/socket (pushing on the outer race). Don’t forget to install the spacer.

When both bearings are in let it cool for a while. Insert the first forward seal (socket/hammer on out side edges of seal) pack marine grease in the cavity (between the seals) and install the next seal.

Installing the impeller requires the special tool and a torque wrench that go to 100 foot-pounds.

Assemble the rest with all new seals.

Total cost for this project was around $100.00(using all Polaris seals/bearings)

+1
    There would be little to gain by putting the 148 pump on a 650, the 93's with the smaller pump were actually a little faster than the later ones with the bigger pump. No realignment is necessary, just slide out pump, rebuild & install.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    There would be little to gain by putting the 148 pump on a 650, the 93's with the smaller pump were actually a little faster than the later ones with the bigger pump. No realignment is necessary, just slide out pump, rebuild & install.
    Interesting. First time I have read something positive about the 146mm non-modular jet pumps.

+1
    They weren't as bad as everyone says, the main thing is that they were usually underproped, Polaris was just starting in the business & it took a couple years to sort things out performance wise.

I bought a 93 750 in April '93 & rode the crap out of it for 2 years, the only thing I did to the pump was put a higher pitch impeller in it & it was as fast as the '94s with the modular pump.

The nice thing about the modular pumps is they are easier to work on & have performance advantages.

I see..... waiting for my 146mm pump seals and bearings to arrive....

Thread Information