Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A trashy VXR...and and a gorgeous VXR!

Well it started out innocent enough and ended with a stroke of INSANE LUCK!

I was in P.C. last weekend breaking in my GP1200 rebuild and having the time of my life. Well there are old skis everywhere and I have an issue where I get hooked on something and have to start collecting them(ATCs, ATVs, VWs, Mustangs, Boats, etc, etc).

Well I saw another 97 GP1200 behind someones house. A quick knock on the door led me to the owner who graciously offered up the coffin for $600. I politely declined as I'm a lowballer but an OLD beat up VXR Pro caught my eye. After 2.5 seconds of negotiations I paid $150 for the hunk and tossed it in my step dads trailer. Now this thing is A PIECE. wires cut, hacked, salt life forever and NO flush kit. On the plus...the motor had compression(thumb test) and the starter had no problem spinning it with a good battery. To be honest I'm a sucker for the old 700 motors so it was nice to see it spin.

So I get on craigslist back in my town looking for another VXR to make one good one. The waverunner gods surely were looking out for me. I found a Waveraider 1100 on a double trailer with a pristine 94 VXR Pro (albeit a blown motor) for 1500. I asked the guy if he would seperate and he came back with EXACTLY what I wanted to hear...not only would he separate...but he would GIVE IT TO ME!!! And it comes with a factory cover. So the next day I got back in town and RACED to his home as to not miss out on the deal. 30 minutes later I was home with this beauty...

To add icing on the cake, I called him the next day to see if he wanted to trade my single trailer for his double trailer. He quickly replied yes and yet again I found myself at his home swapping trailers.

Anyway...I gutted the VXR hull, cleaned it up, and prepped it for the trashy VXR motor. I built my own block off plate tonight from scrap aluminum and the other day I rebuilt the carb using left over parts from my GP1200 triple carb rebuild. All in all I plan to have this VXR up and running for no more than $300 and that includes fuel, a new battery, and a double trailer! SO EXCITED!!!

+1
    Cant beat free and cheap

+1
    Those are prob the best,most reliable ski's out there,they ain't the best lookin,but for how old they are and the massive amount of them still out there running is pretty amazing,I see them everywhere here in fl

yeah they are a little ugly to look at but the price was right!

They take me back to a time when I saw 1 and 2 seat waverunners/jet skis roaming the beaches and NOT this massive couches/small boats.

+1
    I never understood the "antler" handlebars,they still are fun to ride

LOL at antler handlebars.

UPDATE! SO DAMN HAPPY. So the trashy donor VXR made it up from Panama City. Within one hour I had it gutted and parted the motor down to a long block. I swapped in a good starter because the old starter was dead (apparently why they parked it). So with a good starter and the motor having been sitting in oil for two weeks...I got 200psi on BOTH cylinders. Now I realize the high number is from the excess oil but it's nice they were equal. Also looking up the exhaust port showed a nice bore and clean pistons!!! After that I did a pressure test which it passed with flying colors.

Anyway, I did the best I could today to clean the "salt life" 701 and shot it with a cheap can of engine paint. With the corrosion gone and the aluminum paint it actually looks pretty darn good:

Price...
    Nice VXR - free
    Trash VXR with good motor - $150
    Battery - $61
    Flush Kit - $21
    Hull drain - $6
    Exhaust gasket - $11
    Paint - $5

Total = $254!!!!

When it's all said and done I think I will have her up and running for 3 bills. My top end rebuild was WAY more than that on the GP1200!!!

More to come...

Jason

+1
    I had a purple 94 with the yellow seats and bars,I got it cheap and painted it and sold it and made a few bucks,it was super clean though for its age and it looked like it was kept indoors and had low hours,everything including top end was brand new and the inside was spotless,its weird how when you see these they either look brand new or are totally trashed.there are still tons of these skis here in central fl,especially waverunner 3's,I see more of them at the lake than gp hulls like mine

that's a testiment to the old 650/701 motors and how easy they are to work on. 15K waverunners with forced induction and computers weeds out many would-be owners of the new ones. Hence the reason the old ones still stick around.

Don't ya just love when things come together

I wrapped up a few loose ends on the long block today and added the electrical. I had NO idea what worked and what didn't so I wasn't expecting anything to work.

Using my assistant...the lovely miss Leslie and the gantry crane(best investment EVER), we easily lowered the 61X into the picture perfect hull

I started to connect things and check the engine alignment before bolting her down. I tossed in the battery and hit the start button. With no fuel I wasn't expecting it to start but I confirmed: spark(happy about that one), and even BETTER...the digital dash still wanted to play. So then I decided to go one step further...I tossed a cap full of premix in the motor and hit the start button. She fired to life and was INSANELY loud(no exhaust!)

I had to wrap it up for the evening but I think she may even be on the water THIS weekend!!!

Anyway...here is the motor installed. Note the homemade aluminum blockoff plate. I had some scrap aluminum so it took about 20 mins to get that made. Just trying to keep cost down:

Another angle:

And the donor VXR for good measure. I'm giving it away to anyone who will tow it away!

Thanks guys for following along,

Jason

very cool that your bringing this back to life and are doing a sweet job of cleaning it up !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information