Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

1st ski fx ho or sho... Thanks

I am trying to decide what ski to buy. The fx ho cruiser fits all my needs... But is the sho more Fun, we (wife & I) love the blue vs silver. I am torn by more power as always. Is the sho more maintenance, less reliable...Mods later??? I can afford the $1700 more for the sho but do I need 6mph that bad. I want to own a new ski because I don't want problems with a used one. My local dealer will basically take $800.00 off msrp either ski. The fx ho out the door is 13,877.00. The sho is 15580.00. This price includes TTL destination.... The aluminum trailer is 1400.00 more. Is the price good/bad??? I don't need the ski but I do want a new toy the family can enjoy. I will be in salt/brackish water. Please feel free to tell me what you think. I live in Houston TX.

+1
    Welcome to the forum!
    Either one of those will make a fine PWC for you, but to answer your question -- YES, the SHO will be more fun.
    To me those prices seem a bit high. There is no way I would pay $15K for any personal watercraft, but that's just me. I always try and find zero hour hold-over floor models for around $10K, but if you have to have the newest models in summer time, then you are going to pay top dollar. I only paid $1,500 for a galvanized double Shorelander trailer; but some trailers are nicer than others and I have no idea what kind of quality he's trying to sell you.

My advice if you want to get the best deal; just call several dealers in a 100 mile radius and tell them what you want, then have them fax you a complete, out-the-door quote. Make sure they include the extended 5 year warranty in the quote if you want it. When you get your best written quote, send them a deposit and schedule the test ride. That way you remove all the emotion and drama in the show room, you just go test ride it, pick up your ski and you're done. I have purchased six of the 4 stroke PWC this way, enjoy the search. Get the supercharged model, you won't regret it.

I'm looking for a 1st Ski as well. My local Yamaha dealer is pushing the sho because that's what they have in stock but i want to outfit this for fishing and everything I've read says to go with the ho because it gets much better mileage and is only 3 mph slower.

+1
    I am new to this but for the $1700 difference you can do quite a bit in modifications to gain that extra 5 mph.
    Don't beat yourself up to much on the decision. You will prolly have a great time on either.
    +1 on the calling several dealers and getting the best price on the phone. then do what i did and take that quote to the closest dealer to your home and they will more than likely match whatever price you end up getting from others. this way you get to meet the people you will more than likely be taking the bike back to for maintenance and such. warm fuzzy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Exostatic View Post
    I am trying to decide what ski to buy. The fx ho cruiser fits all my needs... But is the sho more Fun, we (wife & I) love the blue vs silver. I am torn by more power as always. Is the sho more maintenance, less reliable...Mods later??? I can afford the $1700 more for the sho but do I need 6mph that bad. I want to own a new ski because I don't want problems with a used one. My local dealer will basically take $800.00 off msrp either ski. The fx ho out the door is 13,877.00. The sho is 15580.00. This price includes TTL destination.... The aluminum trailer is 1400.00 more. Is the price good/bad??? I don't need the ski but I do want a new toy the family can enjoy. I will be in salt/brackish water. Please feel free to tell me what you think. I live in Houston TX.
    Get the SHO. You will love it.

+1
    The difference isn't only in top speed, but also in accelleration. All PWC's are limited in some way to keep them below 70 MPH from the factory (agreement between Coast Guard and PWC industry, not sure if it's the law). Those prices are pretty high. I got my FZR for around $10K (zero hour previous year holdover) and the FXSHO for about $12K brand new. If I remember correctly, the trailer was about $2500, but it's a galvanized double trailer with a storage box.

When do they switch the floor models to next year models so you can buy them cheap in january?

+1
    If you plan to tow, long distance, use it a lot, casual wot... go HO. reliable and good on fuel.
    If you plan to go fast and mods, go SHO! extra 1000-2000$ can get you 75MPH?!

I can do 100 miles per day, and i'm in the market of getting a N/A pwc.
    Likely to be a FX HO Silver Cruiser!

+1
    Hi

Both pwc's are great pwc's. I have had several FX SHO's from 2009 and 2010 and now have a new silver colored 2012 FX HO Cruiser. If you must have the thrill of the fast acceleration go the FX SHO and you will love it, but want something better suited to long distance touring and lower maintenance costs grab the FX HO.

regards,

OZFXSHO

With the new FX Hull Platform (they are long; 140 inches) I think the SHO engine is a better fit for this Hull "peformance wise" than the HO engine. As stated earlier, the extra 5 or 6 miles an hour that the SHO engine brings to the table is welcomed (I have 2012 FX SHO).

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information