Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 Wave Venture New to me First PWC

Hi all,
    I picked this PWC because I understand its simple and the motor is very reliable. I have taken it out three times. Seems to run and go fine up to about 42 MPH indicated. It seems to vibrate a bit from the driveline area, is this normal? I see some people mentioning grease fittings, but I see none in my engine bay...

These things seem to need very little maintenance. So much so I feel like I'm neglecting it. Anything I should check to insure more trouble free adventures on the lake?

I've gone through the trailer bearings. That, being a car guy, I under stand.

they do vibrate .. but telling you if it is the normal amount would be hard over the internet ,,

tell you what ,, they may be" low maintenance" but neglect the carbs for two long and you will change your tune

In what way do the carbs need maintenance? I did finally find the zirc fitting for what I think is the drive shaft bearing. I had heard some weird noises at lower speeds last time I had it out. Not sure if it ever has been squirted with grease before the nipple was super clean. I pumped a LOT into it, since I couldn't feel it coming out anywhere... Hope I didn't do more harm than good... How do you know if it has enough lube?

+1
    There are diaphrams and seals that can dry up and leak. Needle/seats can wear out. Gas that sits in the carbs can evaporate during winter storage and leave behind deposits/debris that can clog up jets and passages in the carbs. there is also a filter screen that can plug up. so carbs need to be periodically disasembled, cleaned, and the soft parts need to be replaced.

How Periodic? Ounce a month? Ounce a year? I read these carbs are super simple compared to a car carb? Also should there be an air filter or just a metal mesh in the air box?

+1
    the wave venture carb is a simple carb. Even more simple then the ones on my GP1200. I'd recommend going through them every 2 years or so. You could possiblly go longer. Some people like to go through them every year.
    Its just good insurance you won't have a lean meltdown. Plus you'll be able to enjoy the ski all summer if you rebuild them in the spring.

Do these jet skis have air filters in the factory air box?

+1
    they have a flame arrestor screen.

I'm a mechanic so I know where you are coming from, Vibration wise As mentioned its hard to say what's ok but my 1100 does vibrate a decent amount and it's bugged me but I've put 60 hours on it and nothing broke yet, As mentioned carbs are important maintaince if you want your motor to live long, My opinion carbs will last if good fuel is used and take care of the gas and carbs off season. The gas we have now is Junk if it sits. Grease was a good call but really they are easy machines to own otherwise.

Its weird to not see an air filter there, there is a screen. I was just worried there was supposed to be a filter in there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information