Thread: 99 XPL Top end

+1

99 XPL Top end

I just bought a 1999 xp limited with the 951. It had low compression on it when I bought it. I pulled it a part and the pistons and sleeves were pretty tore up just from wear and tear. Also the head is pretty corroded around the water ports and bore seal. I am going to see if I can have the cylinders bored and probably buy a new head. What is a good head or what are my best options at this point?? Still want it on pump gas too!! lol. These 2 strokes are new to me as I have a 2004 RXP. Thanks for the info...

just a word of advise - just freshing up the top end, will cause a wore bottom end to fail..

+1
    The ski has 63 hours on it. The kid leaned it out and thats the only issue with the motor. Do the bottom ends not last longer then that??

They should.. But how did he lean it out? Where the pistons seized?? What cause the failure?? And where did all the peices go??

But I will also note - You stated before that the pistons and sleeves where torn up from wear and tear and that should not be the case with 63 hrs on the top end either..

+1
    when i mean wear and tear, it was run a little too lean over a period of time and caused the piston to pit some. I think i will just pull the engine and check it all

Good Choice...

+1
    I found that ses has these 951 with a 1 year warranty for $860. I think that is a hell of a deal!! Anything bad about this company??

the one thing that is good about them is the warranty - when they rebuild a motor they only replace what is damaged..
    Got a bad rod, they replace that rod only.. Got a bad cylinder, they bore that cylinder only...

Inside your motor is a crankshaft, a counter balance shaft, two pistons and two cylinders - real simple design - if you never had a motor apart, this is the one you want to learn on..
    If you already pulled the head and cylinders, there is not much left to pull the motor.. I actually find it just as easier to pull the motor and work on it on the bench, rather then work on it in the boat..
    You already commited to new pistons and a bore, so split the cases and inspect the crank, bearing and counter balancer, not that 63 hrs is a lot of time, but with over 13 yrs it could mean a lot of rust pitting.. So you should look for signs of rust, noisey bearing, gritty bearing etc.. Worst case you need a rebuilt crank, best case you put it back together and it cost you a little time..

+1
    thanks man for the info. i may just rebuild what i have completely.

+1
    any updates and pics of the rebuilt?

Thread Information