Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    New to the PWC game...question after research (trim related)

    we just got a 2000 xl800 and our trim handle and line im also guessing seems to be seized. I have tried and tried to engage the trigger and rotate the trim handle with some considerable force but to no avail. I dont want to beast the handle and break more things and i saw on a post here that someone recommended removing the trim cable and attaching a bag full of oil to attempt to lube the cable system. My question is, by chance is there an earlier fix i can try before having to remove the entire trim cable system?. Keep in mind if you will, i am unaware of where the trim cables route to withing the hull so any diagrams for what im looking for would be helpful as well...thanks in advance for any help i might receive.

    (the ski was owned by only two people before me, the guy i bought it from contacted the original owner and they told him they never used the trim system, he owned the ski for a year and didnt know there was adjustable trim, so it had almost NEVER been used for 12 years.)


  2. #2
    Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,284
    +1
    116
    Hey Troy, welcome to the forum!
    If it was my ski, I'd try some Wd-40 at both ends of the cable and let it soak in. Mabey even shoot it a couple of times. I'd def. not reef ot the lever too hard, break that and you even deeper in the hole. If the soaking trick doesn't do the trick, then look into removing and probably replacing it.
    Good luck and report back.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    Hey Troy, welcome to the forum!
    If it was my ski, I'd try some Wd-40 at both ends of the cable and let it soak in. Mabey even shoot it a couple of times. I'd def. not reef ot the lever too hard, break that and you even deeper in the hole. If the soaking trick doesn't do the trick, then look into removing and probably replacing it.
    Good luck and report back.
    cool, cool...i will be sure to give that the old college try this weekend to see if i can loosen the trim system up. And i totally agree that is why i only tried so hard, if that doesnt work im hoping the bearings in the handle assembly are not seized, but we will cross that bridge when and IF it comes, thanks Chad.

  4. #4
    Avi8tor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    826
    +1
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by troy2003 View Post
    cool, cool...i will be sure to give that the old college try this weekend to see if i can loosen the trim system up. And i totally agree that is why i only tried so hard, if that doesnt work im hoping the bearings in the handle assembly are not seized, but we will cross that bridge when and IF it comes, thanks Chad.
    I would disconnect it from both ends, and using pliers try to pull the cable back and forth from the ends. If you get it moving LUBE LUBE LUBE and work it back and forth until moving freely. If that doesnt free it up its new cable time.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi8tor View Post
    I would disconnect it from both ends, and using pliers try to pull the cable back and forth from the ends. If you get it moving LUBE LUBE LUBE and work it back and forth until moving freely. If that doesnt free it up its new cable time.
    I will try this as well, but i first need to know where the trim cable routes to withing the hull...anybody with any diagrams to help??

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Clarksburg, WV
    Posts
    609
    +1
    1
    U could also try to take apart the handle. It must come off the handle bars then it comes apart with a small screw. The cables could be lodged in there wrong.

    Inside the hull toward the back of the ski should be a wheel looking assembly with 2 cables attached from the front and 1 rod going to the rear to a thru hill fitting. This "wheel" should be sitting on the pump tunnel area. Should have a metal triangularly shaped bracket which it sits on top of.

    Take a look at the parts diagrams for your ski in the link at the top of the page on this site.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New to the PWC world. 07 RXP How to Flush system?
    By Eddie.Nunez2990 in forum Sea Doo How To & FAQs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 08:51 AM
  2. New to the PWC world!
    By Samguy1969 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 11:49 AM
  3. New to the forum few questions
    By chillin82 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 09:48 PM
  4. New to the PWC Club
    By kocomo in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
  5. New to the PWC world...in Northern Illinois
    By Masqua in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 06:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •