Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: exhaust gasket?

+1

exhaust gasket?

I am replacing a cracked exhaust manifold on my 1300r.Manual says replace all exhaust gaskets with new ones.If they look good can I reuse with permatex red?If not who has a good price on them.

+1
    As long as matting surfaces are clean and flat(no bends ,tears or blockedge) i reuse with loctite 503.. But that is my cheap ass... I know beerdart was making some killer gaskets not sure if he makes them for the exhaust.

+1
    save your time in the future and just replace them now since youre already there

last time i did cylinder work, my exhaust gasket came off clean (not missing any chunks) and no creases. i reused it but applied a coating of Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp RTV Silicone RTV Gasket Maker on both sides. Worked well. Also reused my base gaskets (metal) with Permatex Ultra Black High Temp rtv silicone gasket maker, thinly coated on both sides.

+1
    I don't reuse gaskets except for my head gasket. I believe in doing it right the first time. That's why I have never had a single problem with my ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Altezza01 View Post
    I don't reuse gaskets except for my head gasket. I believe in doing it right the first time. That's why I have never had a single problem with my ski.
    I will be doing top end rebuild this winter.Replacing cracked manifold now.Cant see spending 50 bucks when I will be pulling it apart again.I got 140 hours on her.It still has good compression and runs great.Some say its time others say leave it alone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tvtyme2000 View Post
    I will be doing top end rebuild this winter.Replacing cracked manifold now.Cant see spending 50 bucks when I will be pulling it apart again.I got 140 hours on her.It still has good compression and runs great.Some say its time others say leave it alone.
    I used some copper spray on my old gaskets and they are fine after several hours.

+1
    I've reused exhaust gaskets with no issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedude View Post
    last time i did cylinder work, my exhaust gasket came off clean (not missing any chunks) and no creases. i reused it but applied a coating of Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp RTV Silicone RTV Gasket Maker on both sides. Worked well. Also reused my base gaskets (metal) with Permatex Ultra Black High Temp rtv silicone gasket maker, thinly coated on both sides.
    How do you spray this stuff on? Do you have to block off the ports on the exhaust manifold/block when you spray as to not get any on the internal passages?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ River Rider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedude View Post
    How do you spray this stuff on? Do you have to block off the ports on the exhaust manifold/block when you spray as to not get any on the internal passages?
    A thin coat of marine grease applied with a thin brush works well on all the mating services...lot of tuners use this method and has worked for me on the metal exhaust/head/base gaskets...no issues..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information