Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Telescoping Saltwater Rod

Hi,

Is there such a thing as a decent telescoping saltwater rod that would fit in the front storage of my Yamaha VXR? I ride in the south shore bays of Long Island and go into the ocean through jones inlet. I'm not a big fisher and don't really want to have a custom rack but I definetly would like to try it off my ski if possible.

Thanks.

Like for a short offshore rig its mostly for guys who fish off the rigs when they can get away from it. I think they are only 2 to 3 ft long.

+1
    I'm not sure about the telescoping rod. If you say you're not a big fisherman and you're just gonna try it off you're ski I just want to caution you that it is highly addictive and will make you a fisherman in no time at all.

+1
    Yes I could see it quickly turning into me with a massive cooler on the back, like 10 rods and nets, GPS, fish finder...loll.

I probably won't be able to find a telescoping rod good enough to fish in the ocean so maybe I'll just buy a regular rod and make some sort of non permanent rod holder around the tow hook. Think I could get away with just a rod and bait and throw the fish in the front compartment haha ??.

good luck on that. pick up a short offshore jigging rod because they are shorter and you can lay it down and hold your foot on it to hold it.

+1
    504tim, do you have any suggestions for a rod? Even if I don't use it on the ski I want to buy a new one anyway. Over here we have fluke, bluefish, blackfish, sea bass, porgy and weakfish. I would mostly go after fluke. Should I just go to a sports store and pick one out or do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

This guy has a temporary setup. He's has a couple vids, check them out:

and

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Heres a simple rod holder set up....zip ties into place in a few mins...............works perfect on my VXr......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-20 VXS Fishin Rig 009.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	277196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-20 VXS Fishin Rig 006.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	277197  

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Whats the weight range on those fish.....I also have a simple and rather inexpensive rod and reel set up that has handled 50 + lbs Stripers, Its an Okuma av65a with a 7 ft white Ugly Stick Rod Med/ Heavy Action that I have used going on 7 years....This is the reels 3rd year and probably its last....I probably cast a 1 ounce jig 200 to 300 times a fishing trip and have landed some very nice fish with it....at like $70 its a very good reel for the money and like probably $40 for the Ugly Stick nowadays...........theres a few videos on my thread......

+1
    Yeah 1 up on Aquaholic! I too have an okuma and have no regrets on buying it. It's been real reliable for the money. It all depends on what you want though. It can get expensive quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information