Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Hydrotherapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,347
    +1
    17

    first run of winter modds

    guys got out today for the first run of the year after what seemed like forever in the garage just looking at ski,
    set up the jet works valve with seat off as cant do with ski on trailer due to roller trailer so decided to run her out for a half hour and see if she was all good...
    warmed her up for twenty mins after reading so many cold seized threads and did a couple of WOT runs and took some rpm readings and adjusted the e.f.i for the higher compression...


    run #1 at 7200 rpm @72.9

    run #2 at 7190 rpm @73.0

    run #3 at 7180 rpm @72.7

    was happy with numbers for now till i can tweek the e.f.i and set up 100%
    but want the extra 50 or so rpm's out of her to get them to the max to allow a little drop in the summer

    this is where i need some advice..thinking of removing the vis spout and the syphon to gain a possible 50 rpm for both....

    question #1; can i gain rpm from these two small mods

    question #2; will the builge pump be ok on its own if i remove the syphon line and block off the line and use jb weld..

    question#3; where did the buck come from any idea how to get rid

    p.s... i love the jet works my ski try's to jump out the water..


  2. #2
    MR. SCOVILLE UNIT SUCKMYWAKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ASTON, PENNSYLVANIA
    Posts
    2,836
    +1
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by saltygpr13 View Post
    guys got out today for the first run of the year after what seemed like forever in the garage just looking at ski,
    set up the jet works valve with seat off as cant do with ski on trailer due to roller trailer so decided to run her out for a half hour and see if she was all good...
    warmed her up for twenty mins after reading so many cold seized threads and did a couple of WOT runs and took some rpm readings and adjusted the e.f.i for the higher compression...


    run #1 at 7200 rpm @72.9

    run #2 at 7190 rpm @73.0

    run #3 at 7180 rpm @72.7

    was happy with numbers for now till i can tweek the e.f.i and set up 100%
    but want the extra 50 or so rpm's out of her to get them to the max to allow a little drop in the summer

    this is where i need some advice..thinking of removing the vis spout and the syphon to gain a possible 50 rpm for both....

    question #1; can i gain rpm from these two small mods...i have the spout and siphon removed. it sure doesnt hurt performance. i do have a rule 500 bilge and its plenty

    question #2; will the builge pump be ok on its own if i remove the syphon line and block off the line and use jb weld..yes, yes ,yes

    question#3; where did the buck come from any idea how to get rid . i take it the buck wasnt there before? wait til feb. 9th and the new package should cure the buck

    p.s... i love the jet works my ski try's to jump out the water..
    another satisfied customer

  3. #3
    Glad to see you got it out Paul.
    I left the hose conected to the visibility spout so it looks normal and just filled and smoothed JB weld in the nozzle. Same with the syphon tube, I cut it from inside the nozzle, ground it down and sanded smooth. So at a glance it all looks stock with all hoses connected (I just didnt want any silver fittings left uncovered for appearance).

    I had an Intake line pop off before and the pump was able to keep up so the engine stayed dry.

    How were your speeds/rpms before this round of winter mods? Thats a 14/20 your running correct? How was the weather? Since this is the first run was the fuel fresh? Those are good #s but I have a feeling it will do better. You have a good setup so I think something isnt quite right. I notice your rpms dropping a little with every run, Is your EFI rich enough? It looks like its heat soaking a little. No exhaust leaks?
    Last edited by porksword; 01-29-2007 at 01:42 PM.

  4. #4
    Hydrotherapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,347
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    Glad to see you got it out Paul.
    I left the hose conected to the visibility spout so it looks normal and just filled and smoothed JB weld in the nozzle. Same with the syphon tube, I cut it from inside the nozzle, ground it down and sanded smooth. So at a glance it all looks stock with all hoses connected (I just didnt want any silver fittings left uncovered for appearance).

    I had an Intake line pop off before and the pump was able to keep up so the engine stayed dry.

    How were your speeds/rpms before this round of winter mods? Thats a 14/20 your running correct? How was the weather? Since this is the first run was the fuel fresh? Those are good #s but I have a feeling it will do better. You have a good setup so I think something isnt quite right. I notice your rpms dropping a little with every run, Is your EFI rich enough? It looks like its heat soaking a little. No exhaust leaks?
    speeds have not gained since i did mods and added e.f.i..vf2..loads of air..high comp heads i was running these # without e.f.i ect but figured i was lean so now its richer at least it wont blow..i know lean is fast but will give the engine some hurt if left.. out the box 14/20 correct.. 12 degrees temp mild day here,
    no leaks i can see and i have been over and over the ski as i also think something is not right.
    pump sealed and up in the hull as surgested..
    fresh fuel this morning,old get drained and run in car every time she is left..
    e.f.i settings are 6.6.3.9...was only going to bring the first two back a little next time and get "steved" to have a feel..
    if there is something wrong or a drift i cant find it..
    even had shoe holes filled..
    Last edited by Hydrotherapy; 01-30-2007 at 01:05 AM.

  5. #5
    r33pwrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sammamish Washington
    Posts
    4,216
    +1
    360
    very close to the number I run (I do not have a buck) Can you give us a run down of ALL your mods?

  6. #6
    Hydrotherapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,347
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    very close to the number I run (I do not have a buck) Can you give us a run down of ALL your mods?
    hi r33pwrd;
    150 psi milled stock head
    d plate+ 10k ohm
    e.f.i
    vf 2 reeds
    loads of air mods
    R&D 800 mod grate
    ppk
    cut R&D tabs no shims
    R&D kerry plate
    14/20 out the box
    jet works
    stepped sponsons
    pump shoe sealed and right up in the hull
    indexed plugs
    riva filter(no sock)
    rpm's by pet 210
    the buck was very bad today had to come off superman and get weight on toes at back of ski to keep the pump from unhooking felt like it was on a pivot point in middle of hull,
    Last edited by Hydrotherapy; 01-29-2007 at 05:36 PM.

  7. #7
    I wonder if there is a point where the cold temps actually work against you. I would think when it gets real cold the engine would never really reach full operating temps and not run as good. The cold condenced air is good but there might be a limit to when a hotter plug is needed. I know my 2 stroke outboard when it gets in the teens runs much slower than it does when its 30-50 degrees.

  8. #8
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Hello Paul, put 60 thousands shims on trim tabs it should get rid of the bounce.

  9. #9
    Hydrotherapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    3,347
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by jims 1300 View Post
    Hello Paul, put 60 thousands shims on trim tabs it should get rid of the bounce.
    thanks jim,,,wont i scrub more speed off..thinking about trying un stepping sponsons too..nothing to loose feels like i am stuck at this speed and something is holding me back..

  10. #10
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    You have to try it, Alot of times you will also lose speed if you are bouncing to much because the front of the hull is going in and out of the water so that will scrub speed.
    Last edited by JIM'S PERFORMANCE; 01-29-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. First run of the year gone bad. Please HELP!
    By Ec_BuRn in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM
  2. First run of the season almost sank
    By JGRXP in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 04:07 AM
  3. first test run of my xl1200 rebuild
    By paulie1959 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 10:01 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM
  5. First Run After Winter Mods
    By steved in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •