Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hull painting help

Hey all I picked up a new to me 97 spx. Its beat and ill be rebuilding the motor etc as well as a complete repaint.

The bottom was I believe painted at some point and not done very well so while im waiting for parts to come in I plan to work on that.

Im a pretty experienced auto painter so the top side will definitly get a base / clear covering. What would you all recommend for the bottom.

I worry about using any type of paint on the bottom as I just dont know if it will be tough enough for beaching etc. Not to mention I would really like to change the bottom color from yellow to black. Any thoughts on what finish to use. I have sprayed gelcoat before and guess I will do it again if its the only way but as some of you know spraying gel coat sucks.

any thoughts ???

Ohhh come on now.. someone out there has painted their hull. How did you do it... how did it hold up however you did it.

thanks

+1
    use imron on the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    use imron on the bottom

Man Ive heard a lot of bad stuff about Imron... I would rather not.

do you have any experience with using it on the bottom. How does it hold up ?

thanks

+1
    Use Limco 3 if need be or use 1.8 tip primer gun and spray the gelcoat. I've painted plenty of hulls and base/clear doesn't withstand the abuse for long on the lower v section. Sponson sides are lowest I personally go for all overs as bottom Limco 3 q900 or gelcoat sprayed 10pct acetone followed by pva.

+1
    imron is not much different to spray than any enamel
    you call any boat shop and most still use imron and on airplanes
    IMO it is easier to spray than jell coat and no acetone to buy

+1
    a few of us on here have used Dupont-standox paint line on our skis including my own and it has held up well. If you want it really durable on the bottom .. gelcoat is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zxspyderz View Post
    Use Limco 3 if need be or use 1.8 tip primer gun and spray the gelcoat. I've painted plenty of hulls and base/clear doesn't withstand the abuse for long on the lower v section. Sponson sides are lowest I personally go for all overs as bottom Limco 3 q900 or gelcoat sprayed 10pct acetone followed by pva.
    Have you ever used the patch works stuff or whatever its called for spraying Gel?

+1
    No I haven't used it. If your wanting to stick with the paint the limco 3 q900 is black. Just ask your jobber if they carry it or a competing brand. Gelcoats brand I lean towards west as its more available around here in Florida. I do gel coat spraying a lot and its more forgiving than clear coat when spraying between flashes. Do it all day on $200,000+ on motorhomes. Just spray with what your comfortable with gelcoat is stronger than any single stage paint but if single stage is your method at least that takes more abuse than base/clear

Quote Originally Posted by Zxspyderz View Post
    No I haven't used it. If your wanting to stick with the paint the limco 3 q900 is black. Just ask your jobber if they carry it or a competing brand. Gelcoats brand I lean towards west as its more available around here in Florida. I do gel coat spraying a lot and its more forgiving than clear coat when spraying between flashes. Do it all day on $200,000+ on motorhomes. Just spray with what your comfortable with gelcoat is stronger than any single stage paint but if single stage is your method at least that takes more abuse than base/clear
    How does the gel lay out for you when thinned with acetone ???? How thick should a complete spray job be and how many coats does that take ???

I think I am leaning more tword spraying gel.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information