2007 rxt jet pump disassembly

Hi All.

This will be my first time greasing the pump in a 2007 RXT. what is the preffered way to do it? Does the pump housing come off the ski and then the cone is taken off the housing? OR.....can I take the cone off the pump housing without taking the pump housing off the ski....

Thanks!

+1
    I'll be corrected if wrong, but I don't think there is any greasing needed.

It there's enough grease in there and it does not look discoloured it should be fine. How many hours? I would inspect parts if over 150 hours or so if I first where to take the cone off.

88 hours on her. I went ahead and sent the charger to Jerry before the ceramics went, so I figure I would hit up the 100 hour inspection/lubrication points now. Is the cone able to be pulled out of the pump housing assembly while the pump housing assembly is Still on the ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by znesius View Post
    88 hours on her. I went ahead and sent the charger to Jerry before the ceramics went, so I figure I would hit up the 100 hour inspection/lubrication points now. Is the cone able to be pulled out of the pump housing assembly while the pump housing assembly is Still on the ski?
    Yes, you can remove the pump cone while the pump is still on the ski. It is secured in place with 3 allen head bolts.

If I were you, I would pull the pump anyway (It is only 4 more bolts once you've come this far), that way you can inspect drive shaft splines, impeller splines, wear ring, etc. Be sure to look for any corrosion on drive shaft splines and lubricate well before re-assembly.

I think the owners manual calls for XPS synthetic grease in the nose cone of the pump, but a lot of people here convert to using a synthetic gear oil for superior lubrication of the bearing.

Update: I have taken the whole pump housing off. Like monaroman mentioned, once you are that far in the tear down, the pump housing is actually the easiest part to take off.4 bolts and O.P.A.S. hose removal and the pump housing slips right off.

Question: the service manual states to use new locking nuts on pump housing, and new bolts for the cone. Is this neccesary?

rxp steve
    +1
    I have an 07 RXT also. I did the gear oil mod to my pumps at about 50hrs and have about 200hrs on the ski's now. I check my pump pretty often, every time I have to tweak my prop. Everything has been perfect so far. I bought everything to rebuild my pumps at 100hrs and haven't needed it. As far as changing your bolts and nuts, I still use my original bolts,nuts and loctite every time and haven't had any issues. The gear oil is the way to go. JMO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxp steve View Post
    I have an 07 RXT also. I did the gear oil mod to my pumps at about 50hrs and have about 200hrs on the ski's now. I check my pump pretty often, every time I have to tweak my prop. Everything has been perfect so far. I bought everything to rebuild my pumps at 100hrs and haven't needed it. As far as changing your bolts and nuts, I still use my original bolts,nuts and loctite every time and haven't had any issues. The gear oil is the way to go. JMO
    +1. I've had my pump off several times and never changed the bolts. Just be aware that there are 2 different size bolts for the top and bottom.

Are the 2 different size bolts something on 07 and up? My 06 has all 4 the same...

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    +1. I've had my pump off several times and never changed the bolts. Just be aware that there are 2 different size bolts for the top and bottom.

Thread Information