Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Brand New 2010 FX SHO topping out at 10mph after 10 hour break in period

I just purchased a 2010 Yamaha FX SHO Waverunner from I-90 Motorsports out of Issaquah, WA. Not happy.

Followed dealer and manual instruction on break-in, took for a ride right around the 10 hour period and the engine started vibrating really loud. Pulled it back in and checked the impeller, nothing. Pulled it up onto the trailer, got underneath the craft and checked the impeller, nothing. Put it back in the water, sat at the dock and ran it at 5mph, fine; revved to 10mph and it does not go any faster. Engine was not locked, it was it regular running mode.

Anyone had this issue? The dealer says the engine is bulletproof.........I'm begging to differ. I spent a crap ton of money on this hunk of metal because I researched the hell out of it and it said it was RELIABLE. If someone knows what the heck is up with my engine, I'd be stoked to hear.

+1
    How do the plugs look?

+1
    Under warranty if new. Its the dealers problem don't sweat it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRBlue View Post
    Under warranty if new. Its the dealers problem don't sweat it
    Do you live in the Sioux City area? Just asking because of the Nebraska/Iowa/South Dakota listed under location.

Sorry to derail..

Take a deep breath it is prob something very simple. I would say plugs also, its a great ski dont worry about it. I know it sucks to buy something and it be messed up.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Are the rpm's high and cavitating, or are the rpm's low.

+1
    no way yamahas are bullet proof and never play up just ask yoyo sorry mate hope you get it sorted an uneducted guess would likely be plugs or clutch.

+1
    If it's revving high and cavitating, you probably have something stuck on the prop. I know you said you checked it, but if even a small chunk of a stick is stuck on the impeller, you probably won't be able to see it, and it will cause this to happen. This happened to me. I checked several times and couldn't see anything and thought I had tweaked the prop. While I was limpiing it home at 5 MPH, it finally decided to come dislodged after several miles.

Mine is new as well. After hour and a half it died. Let it sit for 30 minutes it ran again. But it would not idle. Motor shook like hell and felt like it was going to drop out the bottom

Turned out one of the seals in the fuel injector had not been installed right at the factory. Would have never been able to see the problem until we took the cover off the engine. Dealer fixed it the same day and followed up with two phone calls after to make sure I was happy. Kudos to GA Checkpoint Yamaha for great service. Now the machine runs great.

+1
    I had a similar issue with my 2011 FZS, my engine would not start 0 hours on the clock. After hours of trying to figure out the problem, came to know the injectors were clogged with dirt. removed all and cleaned. As soon as i put them back on it the engine started right up. Putting it in the water, i wasn't getting the power it needed. Followed the steps again, and one injector got clogged again. Once cleaned. now this baby is running like a champ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information