Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Ultra 150 limp mode issue

    I have done hours of research on this issue and tried everyone else's fixes, yet I still have this issue:

    We went out in tropical storm Beryl with the skis and were wave jumping. The 150 got rolled over for about 30 seconds and flipped back over. It was fine and we rode the rest of the day. We made the HUGE, one time mistake of not only not blowing out all of the electrical when we got home but not flushing it either. We flushed it about 3 days later (yes I know horrible on my part). We then rode it in a local fresh water river and noticed it getting hot and it was going into limp mode. Took it home and blew out all of the cooling lines. Next day out it rode fine no overheating. Yet now a new issue had came about... The multifunction display was going nuts. It would work then not work and sometimes only half of it would work. We kept riding it that day and the next day and let it all air out hoping it would dry out. We went to go out another day and the limp mode came back. It would idle fine but when you give it gas it wont go above 3500-4000rpm and acts like it's running on 1-2 cylinders. We had a new multifunction display ordered and it was sitting outside all opened up on a sunny day. We look out back and smoke is coming from a plug that comes out of the box with the starter solenoid and all that. We quickly cut the battery cable out of reaction, and ordered one of those as well. I rewired the plug that had went bad myself. It appeared water was touching the positive and negative parts of the plug and causing it to short. Wired it perfectly and blew out every single other plug on the ski. Got the new display, got the new cable, got a good battery....And it still goes into limp mode whether it is hot or cold. The display does not show the overheat warning or any other warnings at all, yet it does this limp mode. I tried bypassing the overheat sensor like someone did on the net, I've tried many many things and cannot find a solution to my issue. I got a shop manual and have been troubleshooting like crazy. All 3 cylinders have spark, I bought new plugs twice now, all cylinders have good compression, and none of the 3 cylinders are overheating. Someone please help! Thank you.


  2. #2
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,007
    +1
    282
    Welcome aboard, Monster!

    What makes you think it's limp mode and not something actually wrong with the engine?

    Have you tried riding with the seat off to see if there's something you can see? Checked fuel filter, carbs, fuel pickups, etc.?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Monster!

    What makes you think it's limp mode and not something actually wrong with the engine?

    Have you tried riding with the seat off to see if there's something you can see? Checked fuel filter, carbs, fuel pickups, etc.?

    I realize its limp mode of some sort because when it was overheating due to the cooling being clogged it sounded exactly the same, and did the exact same RPM's. The last time it was rode it was driven about 5 miles just fine cruising about 40. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It went into limp mode twice and I had to turn the key off and back on. Then all of the sudden it went into limp mode instantly and stayed in it ever since. I know it's nothing to do with carbs. Right before it went into limp mode the motor sounded absolutely fine. I rode it with the seat off once to let it get a bit more air to see if it was actually overheating but that did nothing.

  4. #4
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,007
    +1
    282
    So, it's been overheated before (possible damage...). You're sure it's in limp mode now, even though there are no warning lights. It sounded good before it sounded bad (don't they all?). And you 'know' there's nothing wrong with the carbs.

    Sounds like you've got it covered.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    So, it's been overheated before (possible damage...). You're sure it's in limp mode now, even though there are no warning lights. It sounded good before it sounded bad (don't they all?). And you 'know' there's nothing wrong with the carbs.

    Sounds like you've got it covered.

    Yes I know the carbs are perfectly fine. It wasn't overheated the limp was was randomly coming on, then it would be fine. It was running great the last time it was ridden not a problem at all. Running cool no sputtering or knocking or odd noises at all. Then it instantly goes into the limp mode. It's not mechanical I'm trying to find out what electrical part or sensor or wire is messed up and needs to be replaced.

  6. #6
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,007
    +1
    282
    You said in post #3 that it overheated at one time.

    How do you know that the carbs are OK? Are the slides moving properly? Have you looked at them?

    Check the spark plug wires. Unscrew the boots and see if you can pull any of the wire strands out with a pair of needle nose pliers. They tend to break near the ends, causing intermittent problems. If any wires come out, cut the wire back a little and screw the boot back on.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You said in post #3 that it overheated at one time.

    How do you know that the carbs are OK? Are the slides moving properly? Have you looked at them?

    Check the spark plug wires. Unscrew the boots and see if you can pull any of the wire strands out with a pair of needle nose pliers. They tend to break near the ends, causing intermittent problems. If any wires come out, cut the wire back a little and screw the boot back on.
    Went through the carbs they looked good. It overheated once due to the cooling system being a bit clogged. Cleaned it out and the pisser is pissing water stronger than ever. I tried trimming the wires even though they looked fine and still no fix :/

  8. #8
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,007
    +1
    282
    You do realize that the pisser on the Ultra 150 only indicates flow from the front cylinder, unless you have the triple pisser mod, right?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You do realize that the pisser on the Ultra 150 only indicates flow from the front cylinder, unless you have the triple pisser mod, right?

    Yes it has a triple pisser mod.

  10. #10
    SCSFAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ANKENY ,IA
    Posts
    112
    +1
    2
    find anything????

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ultra 150 Limp Mode - False Exhaust temp
    By ktyamaha36 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM
  2. Ultra 150 Limp Mode - False Exhaust temp
    By ktyamaha36 in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2016, 08:26 PM
  3. msx 150 limp mode after 1/2 throttle
    By highvoltage21733 in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 09:03 PM
  4. Ultra 150 Fuel Gauge issue
    By SplishSplash in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 05:16 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •