Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States

99 GP1200 Starter Issues

I've read a few threads here about bendix replacement on the GP's. And a few people had mentioned that the Bendix just slides out with the cover removed and with the flywheel still attached. I have messed with it and have yet to be able to get it to pop out. If anyone happens to know what I might be missing that would be great. The Bendix slips out of it's bushings just fine and I can move it up and down along the flywheel some I just can't seem to get it past the flywheel. I have a replacement Bendix already. The whole thing came about by the original starter finally giving up the ghost a few weeks ago.. While a mile offshore in the gulf no less. I got the replacement starter in and installed, sounded great, took it for a test run after that and a good svc and all was fine. Get it up to the dock to tie off and fetch the trailer when I hit it one more time and the starter spins and the bendix was not kicking in. Which is where I am at now, replacing the bendix. Also when I took the cover off it had a TON, and I mean a TON of grease in it. How important is it going to be to get some of that excess grease out of the housing and cover?

Thanks for any advice on this one.

+1
    You might have to pull the flywheel off. I seem to remember there not being room for it to come out with the flywheel in place.

Cutlass is right. Pull the flywheel. If you have a harbor freight, the pulley puller kits are pretty cheap.

I've got a puller, trick is getting the bolt off without the flywheel holder.

+1
    I wedged a 1x2 block of wood between the case and the flywheel. It worked okish.

yeah I was thinking that or using a strap wrench. As I own a Automotive shop I have quite a bit of things to try before I just yank the engine out. I wish I could find a loner on the flywheel tool but so far I am striking out. I am still waiting on the case gasket to come in to finish fixing it but I am going insane not being on the water. I was ridin a VX110 Sport my buddy has the other day and riding it makes me sick when compaired to the GP1200.

Cutlass in your sig it says 61.7Mph, what kinda water is that in. I have no history on the ski I have and all that is obvious is the Riva cone filters on top but I clip along the Santa Rosa Sound in light chop at 67-68mph acording to the speedo. Is the Speedo on the GP not all that accurate?

On the flip this thing is like a crack habit. I fire that girl up @ Crab Island in Destin FL and people turn around and are like WTF!? I couldn't imagine riding anything else honestly. Wife wants a 3 seater for herself, but I just can't seem to think about replacing this GP. I am only sitting at 157Hrs on the Ski on the stock engine.

+1
    the stock speedos are notoriously inaccurate. they are called dream-o-meters around here. You gotta have a GPS to accurately get a top speed mph. 61.7mph was on a flat calm fresh water lake here in Madison, WI.
    These things definitely sound sweet, huh? most everything else on the water is sooo quite.

Well, I know atleast mine @ 40 is accurate, probally falls off fast at higher speeds. But yeah, First time I saw this ski was 3 years ago and it needed carb rebuild so bad it only ran at full choke. After I rebuilt the carbs on it and had it running in the driveway and watched it pull 6 mini tornados into the carbs when I snatched the throttle I had to go put it in the water. Ever sense then it's been my habit. I don't get any flat water here, and personally, I think flat water is boring. I spend most my time out in the gulf flying through the air. It has enough throttle response that I don't have to stay @ WOT like alot of skis do I can line up on the wave, mash it and crest the wave @ 45ish and grab nice air. All my friends have 05-08 three seater skis and while they cut through the chop a little better they suck at getting airborne. Havn't managed to get a real high speed jump off yet, last time I tried she got stupid high up and I was pullin one of those motorcross jumps where all I had was bars to hold on to. It was about that time I was like... Oh damn, this is gonna hurt. which it did, saw stars awhile, I didn't get my footing back until right as I hit the water flat hull.

Now on a side note, I've read alot about going premix vs oil pump, whats the ratio I should use on premix and whats the ups and downs of doing it?

+1
    The downs of not going premix is oil lines are known to pop off at the carbs....I think you can imagine what happens next. The pros of going premix are reliability an he con of going premix is wondering how much oil to add when filling up.
    What I do: carry a 1 liter bottle, sometimes a 20oz. Bottle with oil in it incase I have to fill up on the lake. Otherwise, when im at the pump, i use my Ratio-Rite and measure out the oil and pour in the GP depending on how much fuel I add. If fill from cans I pour the oil and a couple drops of stabil in before filling the cans...just in case something happens and I can't ride it for a while.

+1
    Premixing can be a hassle...but redoing a engine (because an oil hose popped off) can also be a hassle. Premixing is the ultimate in reliability; lucubration wise. Premixing oil also helps to keep the carb internals more resistant to corrosion problems.
    Oil injection is more convenient. You can make oil injection nearly as reliable as premixing by using metal crimp style clamps, top quality oil injection hose, and regular inspection. You can also add a little oil to the gas for "extra" protection (at a ratio of 100:1 to 150:1). Here's a link to crimp style clamps for oil injection:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...853&highlight=

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information