Post up your rod/reel setups.

I'm in the market for Rods/reels for my ski. I was just looking at a nice penn reel and the ugly stick intercoastal rod for a setup.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    Old Hickory,Tn
    Ive actually got a couple of set ups I think you are looking for, I have 2 Penn 320 GTIs with Ocean City Harbor Master Rods with roller tips, bought the rods in Florida several years ago.....when I fish in the winter time with 12-20 inch skip jacks for bait these are what I use, the rods are 6'6 but extra heavy action.....

wooh thats alittle to heavy for what im going for. im looking for red fish and trout rods.

St. Amant, LA
    Honestly, for your first attempt and just getting started, Walmart will pretty much have what you need. Granted it may only last you a season (and possibly much longer), but you won't be spending much either. Just a thought...

yeah im im not looking to spend a butt load of money but i do want to buy that will last more than a season. the penn setup im think about are about 100 bucks a rod/reel combo with power pro line... im just trying to get all my ducks in a row....

Boca Raton, FL
    I recommend a penn senator reel or TLD 25 reel. Very low maintenance and fairly inexpensive but will last you a long time. I love my TLD 25 for most everything.

El Campo, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by wichers00 View Post
    wooh thats alittle to heavy for what im going for. im looking for red fish and trout rods.
    For trout and reds in the bays and surf from yak or ski I like to use a H2O Express by Mettle reel (Academy or $49.95). It's as good as my Curados (well almost) heavy enough to get the job done MOST of the time, and light enough to have a blast with. I've brought in 44 inch reds from the kayak with it and up to four foot sharks as well. I have it on a cheapy All Star rod 6'6" heavy and spooled with 50 lb spiderwire. That's a $100 set up plus line that'll work pretty hard for ya.

That's a bait rod offshore. But it still goes along all the time.

Thread Information