Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Pop off pressure on CDCV Carbs?

Anyone know what the pop off pressure is supposed to be on the CDCV carbs. The carbs are off of a 1998 kawasaki zxi 1100. The ski has no power out of the hole, but if you feather the throttle a few times until the rpms are past 4k then its smooth sailing. all 3 needle valves pop at 17psi when i tested them individually. I dont know if this is normal. Had the carb rack rebuilt by jetskisolutions but still have same problem with taking off. I think my issue is with the pop off pressure.

+1
    OK, so i ordered a set of 40 gram needle arm springs. gonna hopefully lower the pop off pressure. Will post results shortly.

+1
    check the carb slides. If one hangs up or doesn't open all the way it will cause exactly what you're describing. Pull the air box cover off and make sure all three are operating the same with the engine running.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Macygin View Post
    Anyone know what the pop off pressure is supposed to be on the CDCV carbs. The carbs are off of a 1998 kawasaki zxi 1100. The ski has no power out of the hole, but if you feather the throttle a few times until the rpms are past 4k then its smooth sailing. all 3 needle valves pop at 17psi when i tested them individually. I dont know if this is normal. Had the carb rack rebuilt by jetskisolutions but still have same problem with taking off. I think my issue is with the pop off pressure.
    I read a article stating they came from the factory at approx 35 psi and were having lots of problems with bogging issues. The fix was to reset the pop off to 24 to 25 psi... Im looking for more info on this as well... I did check my pop off and it was 35-40 psi and bogged severly. I cut a couple springs off and rechecked the pop off. I got all 3 carbs to 25 psi and took the ski back out problem solved... But I think I could probly go alittle lower even on the pressure to get alittle more responce... Right now my advice to you would be 24 psi... I also have a 750 stx and I checked the pressure on that carb and it was 17psi like yours and runs perfect...

I am having the same issue with bogging how do you find pop off pressure. I never rebuilt carbs is this a good idea? Do you know the best place for Rebuild kits? I fouled out my plugs this year after only 3 rides.

+1
    All three slides move freely and evenly. Just got the 40 gram springs, gonna try em tonight. I also checked the return fuel line, blew into it and the tank built up with pressure. Then i let the pressure out. so no obstructions there. pulse line is clear too. If my condition gets worse by using lighter springs then I will go to a heavier than stock needle arm spring. i will post results later.

7. +1 by:

+1
    OK so I just got back from the river, not happy. I cut two coils off of the factory springs, they popped off at 11psi. After that run the bog got worse. So im going to put in a stiffer set of springs. I'm gonna try 24psi just like mogyver69 stated.I think that I can say that as of right now I have a rich low speed circuit.

+1
    Tried the 40 gram springs. they popped off at 32psi. I took it to the river and no luck, had a lean bog. I could choke the carbs 3/4 of the way closed and the ski would not bog on take off. So I think this means that my low speed circuit is too lean. Not sure if pop off alone will fix this, any advice? I have the factory jets, 165 high and 35 low. The carbs are not clogged either, they are very clean, I blew out all passages and orifices with air.

+1
    I found out that the low end hesitation is not from the pop off. The low speed jet is too small. I drilled them out too much but even though the ski runs a little rich now, the hesitation is gone. So now i need to find larger slow jets. Anyone know where to get cdcv low jets? will the cdkII jets work?

+1
    Conclusion:

Put in #50 low speed jets, PROBLEM SOLVED. What a headache! Its done tho. To anybody outhere having the same issue; hope this helps.

I was having a lean hesitation in the low speed circuit. I played with the pop off pressure alot but that did not help. Im running 24 psi pop off now and the ski runs smooth. It wound up being too small of a low jet. I could probly go with #60 and still run ok. But #50s run good for now.

Thank you to those who had input.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information