Starting a st750 after it has been full of water

I have a 94 kawasaki ST 750. I rolled it over yesterday. It took me about 5 minutes to get it turned back over. I put it on the trailer and pull the seat off. It was about 3/4 full of water. I let it drain . There is a knob in the engine compartment when pulled it opens a drain in the crank case. A lot of water came out of the case. When no more water came out of the case I pulled the spark plugs. I hit the starter and some water came out of the spark plug holes. Is it safe to try to start it now? Is there anything else I should do first?

Thanks

Yes you should be good to start it now. You need to get it started ASAP to get the residual water out of the crankcase and get good fresh oil back on the bearings. You need to run it long enough to clean it out pretty good.

+1
    Yes, you must run it immediately! It only takes a day for rust to form on the crankshaft and destroy it.

You will probably need to remove the ignition box and open it to drain the water out of it. Also, loosen the screws on the front cover and see if water drains out there. Be careful with the big O-ring, it may come off and make it difficult to get back into place.

The starter probably has water in it, too.

I got it started. It took some cranking but it finally stared. I let it run on the hose for about 10 minutes. I can't get out to the lake for awhile so I will run it on the hose again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

+1
    I would get out and ride it hard to burn out all the moisture, running on the hose may help but ya really need to heat up the engine and I wouldn't run one on a hose very hard... Good luck.. J.

Thread Information