Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine issues after warm up.

So I've got a 1997 Wave Venture 1100. It runs great for about 45 min. Decent hole shot for such a heavy hull. Maxes out about 50MPH on really smooth water. After 30-45 min of riding, after the engine is good and warm, it starts to develop a power issue. It still pulls strong for about 3 seconds (enough to get to about 25MPH), after that, it starts a sort of surging of power about 1/2 second surges of power loss, followed by a second of power increase. It "rocks" its way up to speed, but will only hit about 38-40mph. Roughly 10 MPH lower than normal.

Going hard into turns, or going through rough water (anything that requires more torque) if already under way, it boggs down. If you start from idle, it will power right through waves, into a hard turn, etc, no problem, but again, after about 3 seconds, she starts acting up again.

No temp alarms (or any other alarms for that matter), and like I said before, it only does this when it's warmed up. Runs GREAT for the first 45 min from a cold start.

I tried playing with the choke to try and richen up the carbs. No positive effect. Things stay pretty well the same until about 1/3 choke, and then it really starts to choke out (as expected) And blipping the throttle (trying to give it a shot from the accellerator pump) doesn't help either.

I was poking around earlier, and noticed that the hose for the pisser on the stern had been removed, and closed off. Thought that might have something to do with it getting warmer than it should be, but it appears I was mistaken, and it's only a visibility thing for that particular pisser? And again, no temp warning lights, so I don't THINK it's and over-temp issue...

This ski is an EXCELLENT starter, hot, cold, doesn't matter, she fires right up after 3-4 turns when cold, and half a crank when she's warm. Any ideas of what to look for? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but this is the first year I've owned skis and still not too knowledgeable about them. bought some in a set, and the GP1200 (of the same year) runs like a champ, after I pulled the choke system, and replaced it with a primer pump.

I called a couple of shops, and they all say they're a couple weeks out on work. I don't want to throw 2 weeks of play time away while it sits in a shop.

My wife is wanting to take them down to her Brother's place this weekend, but I'm not sure if this is something that's likely to damage the ski. Any thoughts on that as well? I'm pretty confident it's not running lean. A little rich, possibly, which shouldn't be dangerous to the engine.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Sorry for the rambling, but I'm trying to provide as much info as I can.
    Last edited by wrenchmonkey; 07-19-2012 at 10:53 AM.

+1
    Well the fastest thing to do is change the plugs. Do it by the book. Dont rule out a fuel issue till you pull the carbs but i would chase some spark related stuff just by what you are saying. magnito, wires, coil etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    Well the fastest thing to do is change the plugs. Do it by the book. Dont rule out a fuel issue till you pull the carbs but i would chase some spark related stuff just by what you are saying. magnito, wires, coil etc.
    I did pull the plugs, and they appear to be fine (looks can be deceiving, I know). I'm not used to working on skis, and there's a wakeless zone before I can get back to the dock, but I was planning on maybe doing some plug chops. This ski seems to be stable enough that I should be able to pull the seat and take out the plugs in the middle of the lake, without dumping it...

No suggestions? Anybody ever had/seen similar symptoms? Any input would be appreciated.

+1
    When's the last time the carbs were taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt? If it's been awhile, or if old/dirty gas has gone through the engine, there could be an issue with fuel delivery. michael

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    +1 on the carbs, i was having similar sort of problems and the root cause was the carbs. Granted I have a different ski but the mechanics are the same.

Checking that your getting good spark is also somethign to look at. Theres a simple tester you can buy that lets you see the spark.

Thanks guys. Pierwman, were your similar issues happening only after warm up? My instinct is carbs too, but it seems a little weird that it is only doing it after warm up. It works so well before warm up, and it pulls so well "off the line" for those first 3 seconds... I've just never seen an issue like that. Granted, I'm not super familiar with 2-stroke engines.

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    yea pretty much word for word. I was able to ride for about 30min. Until the engine reached temp. I was doing slow accelerating since i was breaking in a fresh rebuild. i then started to push it and get about 10mph under expected top speed then would bog down but from idle i could go again then it would bog down. At first i was thinking somethign was wrong with the rebuild but then checked the carbs. My needle seat was leaking and i had a sandy mixture in the carbs fuel filter possibly restricting fuel flow. I also replaced the main fuel filter for peace of mind.

Your setup may only have the main fuel filter.

Awesome. Thanks! I'll probably tear the carbs down and replace the fuel filter(s) this week. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information