Is water in Engine Compartment (in gulley between engine mounts) normal?

I have a 2007 Kawasaki ultra lx that I bought used. Has 90 hours. Had a Kawasaki mechanic check it out prior to purchase. Got a clean bill of health. I noticed when riding that I get a good amount of water in the engine compartment in the area at the very bottom of the hull between the engine mounts. Is this normal? When I bought the ski the engine looked brand new. Now it already has signs of corrosion from the salt water sloshing around inside this area. I sponge it out after every ride - about a good 12 sponge fills. Ski runs great and always starts right up. I tried flushing with fresh water prior to ride to see if something was leaking and causing water in this area- no leaks we're found. I also launched it and took it for a nice straight line drive (nothing splashing up on or over the front) and then took the seat off and the water was there. Is this normal? If not, what could be the problem?

I will also try the added rubber seal tape that I read on this post for keeping water out of the storage bin. This is my first PWC.
    Thank you

Banned User
    +1
    How much water ? Quantify it.

The corrosion you need better post ride care washing the inside really well and also using a good protectant silicone fogging spray etc.

I would say it is about 1.5 inches deep trough of water. About as deep as the gully in the very bottom of the hull that exists between the engine mounts right under the engine.My next experiment will be to slide it off the floating dock and without engaging reverse or forward, see if anything leaks inside while the ski is sitting in the water. Do these skis have any kind of bilge system in this area of the engine compartment?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    I would say it is about 1.5 inches deep trough of water. About as deep as the gully in the very bottom of the hull that exists between the engine mounts right under the engine.My next experiment will be to slide it off the floating dock and without engaging reverse or forward, see if anything leaks inside while the ski is sitting in the water. Do these skis have any kind of bilge system in this area of the engine compartment?
    they do have a bilge, but not the pump style like in a boat.
    under the i/c the water gets naturally propelled out the pump when the ski is propelling forward.
    check and tighten all hose in the engine bay.
    take the seats off and go for a slow ride, looking in the engine bay and you might see the leaking hose.

OP's LX is a N/A ski. No I/C.

With the ski on a trailer/stand with the nose of the ski as high as possible, fill the engine compartment with garden hose water about few inches deep.
    Then watch see if any thing is leaking out from the hull bottom.

Also, if you want to check for leak while engine is running, instead of looking into the engine compartment while riding, just do it at the ramp with ski still tied to the trailer. But you may want to do this on non-crowded day.

There is no known leaking issues on this model but there is a first for everything.

Thank you for your replies. I finally got around to doing all the experiments to determine where leak was and low and behold, the ski is leaking at the bottom of the flange joint between the exhaust manifold and the muffler. I don't know if this joint is messed with during a kawasaki mechanic's presale inspection (which I had done), but get this - there was one flange bolt missing and one with the head stripped off. Only two of 4 bolts were compressing the flange joint. I won't go into where I had the ski inspected. I tried to remove the stripped boltr myself ( gave up after 5 hours working on a rocking ski platform on the bay). I then brought it to a very good mechanic on the bay in ocean city, NJ and he pulled the ski out of the water, performed the repair and had me up and running in a few hours. Job well done Wally - thanks. Wally and Tony also gave me some additional tips on post ride flushing and overall care including the silicone spray on the engine. Well appreciated. Some of those tips were also provided on this site - thanks to all who responded.

Thread Information