Installing RXPX Intake Grate ...what to use AND where! Silicone on INSIDE of hull???

Hey so I was all set to install my new WORX intake grate and decided to open up my shop manual. I read on here as well as the WORX instructions to just put silicone on the matting surfaces and silicone on the bolts and torque her down.

I was gonna follow the manual though as they say to put red loctite on the 3 back bolts and blue loctite on the front bolt. I was also gonna use some right stuff around the bolt holes.

NOW, weird thing in the manual for the X boats. It says from the INSIDE OF THE HULL put silicone around the M8 bolt. The front bolt is M8.

So I'm just wondering do any of you do this...I haven't read it anywhere in here. I dunno what the point would be if I seal it from the outside....

+1
    I NEVER use red loctite on the intake grate bolts...matter of fact i dont use blue either...I torque them in and have yet to have an issue...BUT i do usually check them from time to time.IF your nervous then use blue but i would stay away from red...as far a silicone goes,they use that as a cushoin and to seal the bolt holes once threaded...i usually seal around the outside of the grate in the front filling the gaps in flush with the hull...there,IMO is no need to goob up the inside if you seal the outside well enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I NEVER use red loctite on the intake grate bolts...matter of fact i dont use blue either...I torque them in and have yet to have an issue...BUT i do usually check them from time to time.IF your nervous then use blue but i would stay away from red...as far a silicone goes,they use that as a cushoin and to seal the bolt holes once threaded...i usually seal around the outside of the grate in the front filling the gaps in flush with the hull...there,IMO is no need to goob up the inside if you seal the outside well enough...
    I had to take my grate off to clear my intake and just took the bolts out and just chucked them back in with no silicone. Is it needed?

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWCanada View Post
    Hey so I was all set to install my new WORX intake grate and decided to open up my shop manual. I read on here as well as the WORX instructions to just put silicone on the matting surfaces and silicone on the bolts and torque her down.

I was gonna follow the manual though as they say to put red loctite on the 3 back bolts and blue loctite on the front bolt. I was also gonna use some right stuff around the bolt holes.

NOW, weird thing in the manual for the X boats. It says from the INSIDE OF THE HULL put silicone around the M8 bolt. The front bolt is M8.

So I'm just wondering do any of you do this...I haven't read it anywhere in here. I dunno what the point would be if I seal it from the outside....
    i noticed red loctite on the back and silicone on the front bolt when i took the stocker out, so i just did the same when putting it back together.

+1
    well i just noticed my worx grate was ripped off and i literally just pulled the 3 bolts out of the ride plate no loctite just silicone. had blue on 13mm bolt zero problems with removal

Installing RXPX Intake Grate ...what to use AND where! Silicone on INSIDE of hull???

I used blue on front red on back I won't be taking it off as its awesome, lol

Thread Information