seadoo xp wont turn more than 3500rpm under load

I'm new to this forum so please be patient. I have a 1993 seadoo xp that when under a load won't turn more than 3500rpm. Sitting in the driveway it's fine just when I put it in the water it doesn't want to go. It just boggs down. I also was wondering if it should have a stream of water coming out somewhere because I don't see one. I have another question, I noticed water coming out from in between the exaust pipe and the exaust manifold. I know I will have to replace the seal, just didn't know if water should be there in the first place. I just purchased this ski for my kids and that's why I'm not sure of the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

+1
    You have a blown exaust gasket, needs to be replace, this could be your bodding issue if not time to rebuilt carbs.

3. +1 by:

Thanks I'll do those two things any idea if water should be streaming out any where on the ski.

+1
    On your model I think from the the rear at the ski loop, if you had a leak it may not have enough pressure to push the water out or the hole could be clogged and check to make sure the hose is hooked.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    whenyou replace the exhaust manifold gaskets DO NOT USE SILICON OF ANY TYPE!

use "copper gasket" spray you also need to use thread lock on the fasteners. I personally use the red stuff but for a first timer, I'd use the blue since you might need to redo it.

the surfaces must be clean ( really clean)..use a brass wire brush..do not use sandpaper or a scraper

as stated above, cooling water tell tale exits the rear. Likely clogged with bug debris. You'll find a small diameter hose coming off the exhasut pipe going to the rear. Pull it and blow air thru it. I often use a giant ziptie to clear the lines of insects and nests. The hose exit should be on the tern of the ski. it's small

cooling water flows from the pump into the engine block and then into the exhaust system..there are multiple drains

if the ski has gray colored fuel lines witht he word "tempo" on them, the need to be replaced.

search for "tempo fuel line" for lots and lots of information on that.

lots of info on the various things you need to look at also including the fuel vlave and info on cleaning and replacing carb gaskets.

good ski to get started on..open and simple.

once you get the pipe leak fixed..you can move on to the rest.

first order of business is getting a manual..if you sniff around..you can find them on line for free. I don't patronize individuals who have taken these manuals, stuck thier name on them and then sell them on ebay. Seems like the manufacturers don't care..as the sites hosting free manuals have been around for years. It's quite simple to shut somebbody down who has been distributing copyright material, so it's obvious at this point that the big three don't care about it.

one last tip to the newbie ski wrench. beware the razor sharp edge of improperly cut zip ties. They can ruin your afternoon.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    I'm new to this forum so please be patient. I have a 1993 seadoo xp that when under a load won't turn more than 3500rpm. Sitting in the driveway it's fine just when I put it in the water it doesn't want to go. It just boggs down. I also was wondering if it should have a stream of water coming out somewhere because I don't see one. I have another question, I noticed water coming out from in between the exaust pipe and the exaust manifold. I know I will have to replace the seal, just didn't know if water should be there in the first place. I just purchased this ski for my kids and that's why I'm not sure of the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks to everybody telling me what to look for.found out im missing one of the hoses that gets water out of the hull. Also, looked at the exhaust somebody a long the way put the wrong bolts back in it probably gonna try a retap them if not get a used one. Got the carbs off gonna try and rebuild them. Thanks again!

Thread Information