Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2011 RXT260 Issues

Hello All,

Well one of my pure stock RXT's has been sick. It started with what I thought was bursts of cavitation when in sports mode only when starting from stop and during sharp turns. I then noticed that I had lost about 5-6 MPH off the top end as well. After a bit of looking I noticed what I thought was cavitation was in fact the RPM limited hitting at ~ 8K in bursts. It would be up and down like it was breaking free of the water intermittently off and on. I then took it to the dealer, and they can't find anything wrong after two weeks and though it could be an electrical issue. They checked the impeller, wear ring etc and it all looked good. As they couldn't test it in the test tank, I picked it up and tried it again, but was having the same problem but even worse now. It would stay at 8K RPMs though out the run, but was accelerating well. I caught it on film this time and on the 2nd run while accelerating out it had a large bang and made a sharp left. Glad I didn't drop my phone into the lake. I still had power and forward speed at idle, but it wanted to turn left pretty bad. I knew something had let go, but wasn't sure at that point and with the kiddo on as well wanted to get back to the marina. So I idled back to shore and loaded it up on the trailer. Once there I noticed that I sheared off two of the three bolts holding on the rear cone that is after the pump. Back to the dealer it went.

Before when it was working properly it would max out about 7K and then increase from there until it would max out at 67MPH or so in the mid-upper 7K range.

Here is the video from the two runs:

Its still at the shop, and they have to get a hold of BRP as they have never seen the bolts sheer off the pump, yet alone the original problem. Now they think it could be one of the two modules that they installed either the SKI module or X-Package module. They have been on it since new, and have them on the other ski as well with no issues on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Chris

My guess is the cavitation issues you had been feeling were a result of some of the pump bolts coming loose, which has been an issue with the 2010 and 2010 rxt-x skis. They eventually will sheer off if not caught in time which is what has happened to your ski.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	277288

Are you saying 2 of the 3 venturi-nozzle bolts were loose OR 2 of the 4 pump bolts were sheared?

The pump bolts were a problem for the 2010 T-X's and has a Technical Service Bulletin about them. This is an OLD PICTURE showing the OLD bolts that have been changed since the TSB!!

If the venturi bolts came loose - that is a first! But will definitely cause your symptoms.

I can't see how the ski or X modules would have anything to do with bolts getting sheared or loose. This comment from your dealer would make me think someone doesn't know what they are talking about!

Everyone with 2010+ skis needs to know how to raise the iBr gate and check all the pump area bolts every season. Blue Loctite and proper torque settings are great preventative maintenance.

+1
    It's the venturi-nozzle bolts that sheared off two of the three, and the third one now is loose enough to be able to wiggle the nozzle around. That is/was my guess too after they sheered, but it was too late to check them. The dealer "checked" all of them and they were tight and everything with the pump looked good, that's when they gave it back to me to lake test it again to see if they "fixed" the problem.

I surmise that they could have been loose all along causing a water leak between the pump and nozzle, causing the high RPM's hitting the limiter as the water flow through the pump was too high. This could explain why it was doing it intermittently at first and then all the time right before the end. Now for sure they have to get them out of the pump, which is fun with stainless bolts as they are pretty fun to drill out.

They think the module is causing the high RPM, which I am not exactly sure how that would happen, my guess is that there aren't going to be CAN bus messages to override all mechanical issues and let the ski push that much water out the end. I think that they are grasping for straws.

They are going to call BRP Monday to see what happened, as they have never seen those bolts sheer off before either. Not sure if it was a Friday ski or not, I sure hope not, let's just hope someone forgot the lock tight on these bolts only!

I will remind them about the TSB as well as long as they are in there, at least get one ski fixed.

+1
    They should have known that you were loose if they actually looked at the entire pump the 1st time.
    If they knew there ass from a hole in the ground they would have caught it during the 1st 2 week stay..

Let me guess its going to take a month for some simple bolts..

Stealerships suck..

+1
    The guys you are dealing with are idiots! Those modules have nothing to do with bolts coming loose. They should have checked all the pump area bolts the first time you took it to them. The question now is whether the pump, iBr, and steering nozzle has been damaged due to the venturi and bolts braking loose.

These machines take a pounding and YOU need to put a wrench on every bolt, nut, hose clamp on these skis - if you don't learn how to do this yourself - you will PAY the man big time!

+1
    +10

+1
    Thanks guys, that was my assumption as well. Doing 99% of my own maintenance on my own express cruiser, I will normally do it here as well, but considering that they are only 2.5 months old and under warranty, just wanted to see for myself on how the service dept worked at this dealership. So far, not so good...

Any place to purchase the real BRP 2011 service manuals for a good price online?

Thanks,
    Chris

+1
    Well I do appreciate everyone's help, and the plot thickens. They put humpy dumpy back together again, and disconnected both the Ski Module and X-Module and said here you go, because according to them Sea Doo won't pay for lake tests, not sure of that's true or not, but ok. On the bright side it didn't blow up this time and nothing "broke" that isn't already broken.

So idle out of the no wake zone, letting the engine warm up, leave it in touring mode and pull the throttle. It seems normal however there might be the slightest cutting out and sputtering, then come to a stop and put it into sports mode and full throttle. The RPM's shoot up to almost 8500 RPMs, it was 8448 RPMs on a bone stock unit with about 15 hours on it. It starts doing fuel cut off at that point. So problem not fixed, and I guess they were wrong about the modules. LOL If it wasn't so much money it could even be funny at this point. I knew along with you guys that the modules had absolutely nothing to do with this problem. I guess the potential leaking around the venturi-nozzle wasn't good either.

So time to put the thinking caps back on if you don't mind. They checked the computer and no errors, bolts are tight, although they still have cap screws on the pump to the ride plate, instead of the new hex bolts, so they didn't do the service bulletin, as I asked, guess that would have meant taking it apart.

What I am thinking see if I could be on to something here, would a sticking supercharger allow too much boost therefore over-revving the engine? The only other thing I could think of is maybe a bad ECU? Anything else it might be? I think that a chat with the SeaDoo rep is now in order as this is becoming an problem as they have had the ski in there shop for about 3.5 weeks, and it will have to go back in the morning.

Thanks again,
    Chris

+1
    Chris, bring the ski to Cowtown PowerSports in Fort Worth, your dealer service department is incompetent! What lake is your home lake?

Heck for that matter, I'll PM you my phone number and I'll look them over for you if you want - might cost you some SHINER though.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information